Welcome to Wikidata, Canley!
Wikidata is a free knowledge base that you can edit! It can be read and edited by humans and machines alike and you can go to any item page now and add to this ever-growing database!
Need some help getting started? Here are some pages you can familiarize yourself with:
- Introduction – An introduction to the project.
- Wikidata tours – Interactive tutorials to show you how Wikidata works.
- Community portal – The portal for community members.
- User options – including the 'Babel' extension, to set your language preferences.
- Contents – The main help page for editing and using the site.
- Project chat – Discussions about the project.
- Tools – A collection of user-developed tools to allow for easier completion of some tasks.
Please remember to sign your messages on talk pages by typing four tildes (~~~~); this will automatically insert your username and the date.
If you have any questions, please ask me on my talk page. If you want to try out editing, you can use the sandbox to try. Once again, welcome, and I hope you quickly feel comfortable here, and become an active editor for Wikidata.
Thank you for using P31 - just what I needed to know for a whole lot of oz stylian items
Glenorchy - lack of state qualifier?Edit
Electorate areas & 2016 SSC newsEdit
Hi Canley (also ping @mattinbgn, Kerry Raymond:). Thanks for getting this started. I think maybe we should add dates to areas of electorates, since they may change with redistricting. I've just started putting in some populations from 2016 on some of the complete sets (CED so far), e.g. Braddon diff. See if you think they have everything they need. The SSCs are coming along too - there are two almost identical mixnmatch sets: short long. The "long" one is good for collecting automatches, and I was hoping the "short" one would then get copied matches by auxilliary data matcher, but that hasn't seemed to work. Just be careful if the description says "State suburb in XXXX, State, Australia", the XXXX means there were two suburbs of the same name within the same state, so you have to match to (or make a new item for) the one in the XXXX LGA. --99of9 (talk) 04:19, 6 August 2017 (UTC)
- Sorry guys, but I'm about to get on a plane for Wikimania and then other holidaying, back mid-September, so I am not in a position to help out again till then. But wish you all the best with this! It will be a great thing if we can automate the 2016 census and, from what we learn from doing it, should help us with a more high-tech approach to article maintenance going forward (which seems consistent with the general intentions of the Strategic Plan in Progress). I know we have some doubters out there about the automation of the census, but let's hope we can win them onside. Kerry Raymond (talk) 06:26, 7 August 2017 (UTC)
Hi Canley (also ping @Kerry Raymond, 99of9:). I see ABS has now released UC/L data. Is there a proposal for a mixnmatch and/or a Q number for UC/L like "state suburb (Q33112019)"? Interestingly, the UCL number for Berrigan (Q2596449) didn't change from 2011 but Tocumwal (Q3530213) did. -- Mattinbgn (talk) 06:20, 24 October 2017 (UTC)
- Ah interesting, I wasn't clear on what types of region they planned to support. Go ahead and make a Q item for this, and let us know which it is. I'm happy to set up a mix-n-match set. --99of9 (talk) 06:24, 24 October 2017 (UTC)
- Oops, actually I already made Urban Centre and Locality (Q33127891) for last time. --99of9 (talk) 06:26, 24 October 2017 (UTC)
- And there is also Significant Urban Area (Q33128580) which they also seem to have released. --99of9 (talk) 06:31, 24 October 2017 (UTC)
Electorates and P131=Edit
Hi Canley. Good to see the Infobox Australian place data slowly (or quickly now!) making its way over to Wikidata. One comment, though. I am not sure that located in the administrative territorial entity (P131) is a good fit for electorates. Whatever else electorates may be, I am not sure that they are an administrative territorial entity. I note that constituency (Q192611) is a sub-class of administrative territorial entity (Q56061) but that doesn't look right to me either. What are your thoughts? -- Mattinbgn (talk) 22:38, 6 September 2017 (UTC)
I'm quite sure that bus driver is not a craftsperson.
Removal of LGA from P131Edit
Hi Canley. Not sure I understand this edit and some other ones around the same time such as this one and this one. Was there a problem with my use of P131 in those cases? Thanks for any assistance -- Mattinbgn (talk) 01:33, 20 March 2018 (UTC)
'teacher education' subclass of 'education'Edit
I propose a change: I believe teacher education should be subclass of education rather than of training. At least the Spanish translation of 'training' (entrenamiento) is not an adequate hyperonym for capacitación docente, while 'education' is --JosebaAbaitua (talk) 07:30, 8 May 2018 (UTC)
I see you have edited both Cowell (Q2082300) and Q31431652. One of them features in the list of highest populations in SA without a wikipedia article. Is it reasonable to merge these two wikidata entities, or are they deliberately distinct as the town and locality? I haven't noticed doing that for other rural towns. --ScottDavis (talk) 08:46, 11 January 2019 (UTC)
- @ScottDavis: Yes, I agree, I've merged them. From the "State Suburb" description of the item I'm guessing it was created in a Mix'n'Match and not linked to the town item. --Canley (talk) 11:35, 11 January 2019 (UTC)
Australia at ★★★ ?Edit
Hi, Wikidata:WikiProject every politician/Australia/data/House/Current Members implies that we're not quite at ★★★ level here yet, as very few of the memberships have a parliamentary group (P4100) qualifier yet. Is that something you're working on? --Oravrattas (talk) 07:29, 21 March 2019 (UTC)