Welcome to Wikidata, Glenn!
Wikidata is a free knowledge base that you can edit! It can be read and edited by humans and machines alike and you can go to any item page now and add to this ever-growing database!
Need some help getting started? Here are some pages you can familiarize yourself with:
- Introduction – An introduction to the project.
- Wikidata tours – Interactive tutorials to show you how Wikidata works.
- Community portal – The portal for community members.
- User options – including the 'Babel' extension, to set your language preferences.
- Contents – The main help page for editing and using the site.
- Project chat – Discussions about the project.
- Tools – A collection of user-developed tools to allow for easier completion of some tasks.
Please remember to sign your messages on talk pages by typing four tildes (~~~~); this will automatically insert your username and the date.
If you have any questions, please ask me on my talk page. If you want to try out editing, you can use the sandbox to try. Once again, welcome, and I hope you quickly feel comfortable here, and become an active editor for Wikidata.
instance of -> subclass ofEdit
Hi Glenn, I notice you've been doing a lot a classification for electrical engineering-related subjects. I wanted to point out that the domain of the instance of property (P31, formerly "is a") is restricted to "instances" of things, which are concrete objects like say ENIAC and Grace Hopper. Subjects like diodes and transister represent a class -- or type -- of thing, and thus are appropriately classified with subclass of (P279) rather than 'instance of'. An instance of a transistor would be one specific transistor among the millions of transistors in your CPU. The overview at Help:Basic membership properties gives some more detail on the difference between 'instance of' and 'subclass of'. The examples of classifying 'quark' there are applicable to classifying various electrical components, etc. Best, Emw (talk) 21:39, 5 May 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks for your information, I did read about it at wikidata and in some web-sites, but did not find a description as clear as yours. Please. I will go through my edits later. I have edited english and danish instance of accordingly. Please check the english one and correct it if needed. Please note that here at wikidata the description - especially the english descriptions - ought to be elaborate and of course clear. --Glenn (talk) 07:33, 19 May 2013 (UTC)
Hej Glenn. Du har synonymiseret "Sorgenfrei-Tornquistzonen" og "Tornquistzonen", det er ikke helt rigtigt. Tornquistzonen består af den nordlige Sorgenfrei-Tornquistzone og den sydlige Teisseyre-Tornquistzone. Det du har skrevet svarer til at Jylland og Danmark er det samme. I daglig tale vil danske geologer bruge "Tornquistzonen", selvom de kun mener "Sorgenfrei-Tornquistzonen". De andre wikier omhandler andet end blot Sorgenfrei-Tornquistzonen. Der er på dawiki en diskussion om at omdøbe da:Sorgenfrei-Tornquistzonen til da:Tornquistzonen, men indtil da kan dawiki ikke linkes. --Necessary Evil (talk) 08:03, 23 March 2015 (UTC)