Welcome to Wikidata, Kholoudsaa!
Wikidata is a free knowledge base that you can edit! It can be read and edited by humans and machines alike and you can go to any item page now and add to this ever-growing database!
Need some help getting started? Here are some pages you can familiarize yourself with:
- Introduction – An introduction to the project.
- Wikidata tours – Interactive tutorials to show you how Wikidata works.
- Community portal – The portal for community members.
- User options – including the 'Babel' extension, to set your language preferences.
- Contents – The main help page for editing and using the site.
- Project chat – Discussions about the project.
- Tools – A collection of user-developed tools to allow for easier completion of some tasks.
Please remember to sign your messages on talk pages by typing four tildes (~~~~); this will automatically insert your username and the date.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask on Project chat. If you want to try out editing, you can use the sandbox to try. Once again, welcome, and I hope you quickly feel comfortable here, and become an active editor for Wikidata.
- Hello @Kholoudsaa, could we learn the link to your research on meta:Research:Projects please? As I am an editor on the double byte writing system, maybe not included among your hypotheses.
- With my past experience, I wish to confirm that at least I might discuss if my English language half could accept your questionnaire or would it be a bias on your research. Trilingual or editors with multilingual background might ponder similarly imho. Cheers, and good luck ! -- Omotecho (talk) 12:50, 13 January 2022 (UTC)
- Dear @Omotecho,
- Thanks for your message,
- Here is the link to my project:
- Kindly if you have time we can discuss through zoom call about the language?
- Regards Kholoudsaa (talk) 12:04, 20 January 2022 (UTC)
Call for participation in the interview study with Wikidata editorsEdit
- Dear Kholoudsaa, thank you very much for your message. Honestly, I am not too deeply interested in Wikidata, I just do it to complement the articles on portuguese Wikipedia that I edit. As a result, I am not a very prolific editor on Wikidata, and anyway I do not wish to do so, I have already too much work on portuguese Wikipedia an in Wikimedia Commons! As such, I do not know Wikidata very well, just the editing basics. So, thank you very much for your invitation, but I do not believe I am the intended audience for the study. Yet, I am still available to answer some questions you might have, and if you wish you can send them to me through my talk page. I will try to answer them as well as I can. Thank you and best regards, -- Ajpvalente (talk) 15:19, 26 May 2021 (UTC)
I received you're invitation to participate in your research project, but would like to receive more information first.
Where are you doing your Phd for instance, and who are "Elena Simperl and Miaojing Shi"? Why is there a question mark behind "anonymized" in your message? And you've seemed to be reaching out to hundreds of Wikidata editors, but seem to have little wiki-experience yourself, concluding from the fact you did not sign your message with four tildes.
As Multichill above suggested, please put more information about your research on Meta, and maybe contact the WMF Research Team to learn from their experience with doing a meaningful research within the Wikimedia projects. Ciell (talk) 14:46, 29 May 2021 (UTC)
Thank you Ciell for your message,
I am doing my PhD at King's College London in England. Elena Simperl and Miaojing Shi are my supervisors. Actually yes, I don't have enough contributions at Wikidata at moment, but, I am interested to be more involved in the near future after I finish building the recommender tool and deploy it in the Wikidata! Also, I have already added more information about the project to my talk page,
Sure I will publish the project in the Wiki project page as Multichill suggested!
- Dear Kholoudsaa, than you for your message. Though I won't participate, since I dont think I am the best participant for your study, I have some feedback. I had the same issues with your message as Ciell above, in that it was missing some information. More specifically I was missing credentials, who are you, and why should I trust you. Anyone can make claims on the internet. You use gmail instead of university mail and give a few names. Maybe you could add a bit more information to your user page about yourself and your study. For example this link was informative . And also make sure we can check your credentials in some way or another, for example a website from the university, that supports your call for participants. I wish you good luck with your study. Very good that you are doing a study about Wikidata. All the best, Taketa (talk) 05:22, 1 June 2021 (UTC)
Dears Taketa and Zblace, Thank you very much for your reply, based on your suggestions I have already added more information to my talk page about the project. Regards Kholoudsaa (talk) 15:12, 1 June 2021 (UTC)
Research invitation additional repliesEdit
Reply from PelagicEdit
Hi, Kholoud, I'm glad that you feel Wikidata tools are a worthy area of research!
A video or voice interview isn’t a format that I would feel comfortable with, though I'm happy to answer questions through other means.
I may be in your target demographic: I edit data items infrequently, and by hand. But if I was to spend more time on Wikidata, I wouldn’t necessarily want to sink more of that into manual edits. So a recommendation tool isn't a great fit for me. The kind of tools I would love would make it easier to do things that that I haven't yet developed the personal skills for:
- scrape information from the web (c.f. the Mix-n-Match scraper)
- import data from CSV
- detect existing items and prevent importing duplicates
- suggest properties and qualifiers to use when modelling information
I gather from Dr Shi's and Prof Simperl's (Elena Simperl (Q37113655)) profiles that your specialty is machine learning? Is your main interest in building a recommendation or user-interest engine, and Wikidata happens to be a good place to measure things like impact on contribution stats? Or is your primary interest to build a cool ML tool using or for Wikidata, and making recommendations seemed like a useful or at least tractable problem?
Echoing those above, if there was a statement on your university page that you are Kholoudsaa on Wikidata, then we would know it's really you and not someone pretending to be you.
Way to talkEdit
Good morning Kholoudsaa, I just sent you the form for your planned interview.
If you are on LinkedIn it may be an idea to use their private chat. My username is the same as here since it's my real name.
Call for participation in the interview study with Wikidata editorsEdit
mi piacerebbe molto partecipare al tuo progetto ma purtroppo io non conosco l'inglese, è un grosso handicap che mi esclude da molte esperienze interessanti, ma ormai mi sono rassegnata!! Quindi non sarà possibile per noi chattare. Intanto ti posso dire come scelgo gli elementi da creare:
1) Sono piuttosto attiva su wikipedia pertanto, appena pubblico una nuova pagina, creo anche l'elemento wikidata e aggiorno/completo eventuali altri elementi a questo collegati.
2) Sono spesso impegnata in attività didattiche con altri wikipediani toscani; come tutor ho partecipato a numerose lezioni su wikipedia e su wikidata, rivolte a bibliotecari, museologi, archivisti; quasi sempre gli elementi da creare sono stati scelti dagli allievi; dopo le lezioni mi sono occupata di completare il loro lavoro.
3) Alcuni mesi prima del concorso Wiki Loves Monuments, mi viene chiesta collaborazione per creare i nuovi elementi relativi ai monumenti da fotografare. Ricevo una lista e scelgo di creare gli elementi che più mi interessano, finiti quelli... creo anche quelli che non mi interessano!
4) Ho adottato la mia città di origine, Spoleto, e creo elementi ad essa collegati per tutto quanto mi è possibile conoscere e fotografare.
Buonasera --Manuela Musco,
Grazie mille per le tue ottime risposte, Molto apprezzato :)
Kholoudsaa 23:38, 17 July 2021 (UTC)
Fw: Call for participation in a task-based online experimentEdit
Dear Kholoudsaa, thank you very much for thinking of me for what you propose. I decline your proposal because I am not interested, besides I don't know English. Regards.--Dorieo (talk) 12:56, 11 January 2022 (UTC)
Please add your research project to meta:Research:Projects immediately!Edit
Please cease contacting Wikidata editors until you have added your research project to meta:Research:Projects as User:Multichill asked you to back in May 2021. Such disregard for our processes isn't a good look for someone asking for volunteer help. JesseW (talk) 18:00, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
- Dear JesseW,
- Thanks for your comment, I appreciate this,
- Here is the link to the project description in the meta:Research:Projects
- Regards! Kholoudsaa (talk) 18:23, 19 January 2022 (UTC)
I've no luck trying to interact with your Google Form. That may be because i'm using Tor and a disposable eMail address. But i don't feel like going out of my way for some Google bullshit here. Why would it need my eMail address anyway?..--Reseletti (talk) 23:24, 25 January 2022 (UTC)