Welcome to Wikidata, Olimar!
Wikidata is a free knowledge base that you can edit! It can be read and edited by humans and machines alike and you can go to any item page now and add to this ever-growing database!
Need some help getting started? Here are some pages you can familiarize yourself with:
- Introduction – An introduction to the project.
- Wikidata tours – Interactive tutorials to show you how Wikidata works.
- Community portal – The portal for community members.
- User options – including the 'Babel' extension, to set your language preferences.
- Contents – The main help page for editing and using the site.
- Project chat – Discussions about the project.
- Tools – A collection of user-developed tools to allow for easier completion of some tasks.
Please remember to sign your messages on talk pages by typing four tildes (~~~~); this will automatically insert your username and the date.
If you have any questions, please ask me on my talk page. If you want to try out editing, you can use the sandbox to try. Once again, welcome, and I hope you quickly feel comfortable here, and become an active editor for Wikidata.
Olimar, please explain your reverts to my edits.
I spend a lot of time adding new items for en wikipedia articles on humans. To do so, it is necessary to search for items having the same name. Pretty much all such searches will pull up one or several ORCID person items. Because these have no descriptions, it is necessary to waste time inspecting each of them to find out they are not the footballer/politician/whatever that you're searchig for. Adding descriptions including the ORCID ID provie a means of disambiguating this item from that item, without having to waste time calling up the full item. Clearly this is more useful than having a blank description. Please do not revert such edits; they are done with a useful purpose. --Tagishsimon (talk) 17:22, 1 March 2019 (UTC)
- I should note, we all know that the form of description being added is suboptimal. If you want to replace the description WITH A BETTER DESCRIPTION that would be fine. But blanking the description out of some sort of petulance does not cut it. --Tagishsimon (talk) 17:36, 1 March 2019 (UTC)
- Sorry, they just seemed like a mistake from QS batch, because the articles already had ORCID IDs AND there wasn't any explanation in the edit summary. I'll edit the descriptions, br.--Olimar (talk) 18:36, 1 March 2019 (UTC)
- And accusing me of petulance seems a bit over-reacting!--Olimar (talk) 18:55, 1 March 2019 (UTC)