Wikidata:WikiProject Country subdivision
|Welcome to the WikiProject Country Subdivision
English: The WikiProject for creating, populating, and maintaining all of the various subdivisions of the world's countries.
Any geographically based political division within a country is covered by this WikiProject. While most specifically focused on Official political and administrative entities, there may be several other items which fit within the same mold even if they are not most strictly a type of country subdivision.
This project aims mainly to class concrete divisions, such as People's Republic of China (Q148), Paris (Q90), Alabama (Q173). As a consequence, it's also interested into items such as commune of France (Q484170), country (Q6256) or U.S. state (Q35657). This entities, types of administrative divisions, will be classified themselves.
The following table distinguishes 2 levels of classification, with the entities it classifies:
|type of division
|type of division classification |
|Victoria, Queensland, Brisbane (Q34932), ...||State, Territory, city, ...||designation for an administrative territorial entity (Q15617994), type of administrative division in australia, ...|
Concrete divisions are classified as instances of a type of divisions. This is done with the instance of (P31) property, building statement such as
. These are currently being developed at Wikidata:Administrative territorial entity.
An administrative division can be an instance of several types of administrative divisions, for example Paris (Q90) is both an instance of commune of France (Q484170) and an instance of administrative territorial entity of France (Q192498). If that's true for any instance of commune of France (Q484170), then we will say that commune of France (Q484170) is a subclass of administrative territorial entity of France (Q192498), and this is noted in Wikidata:
There is one special type of administrative division : political territorial entity (Q1048835). Any administrative division is an instance of this type, and any type of administrative division is a subclass of him.
Each class of administrative territorial entity should be a sub-subclass of political territorial entity (Q1048835). Some examples of these trees are:
- U.S. state (Q35657) → federated state (Q107390) → state (Q7275) → political territorial entity (Q1048835)
- town of Japan (Q1059478) → municipality of Japan (Q1054813) → municipality (Q15284) → political territorial entity (Q1048835)
For a depiction of this tree, see Wikidata:WikiProject Country subdivision/Subclasses tree.
Each type of subdivision should also be in a subclass specific to its country. These parent items are generally in the format "administrative territorial entity of X" and are subclasses of administrative territorial entity of a single country (Q15916867). For example:
- administrative territorial entity of Australia (Q4494320) is the parent class of state or territory of Australia (Q178712) and local government area of Australia (Q1867183).
administrative territorial entity of the United States (Q852446) is the parent class of U.S. state (Q35657), county of the United States (Q47168), civil township (Q1394476), county-equivalent (Q1188782), and unincorporated territory (Q783733).
For a list of which items should be in each countries Wikidata:WikiProject Country subdivision/List of subdivisions.
- main page: Properties
Several properties are useful for country subdivisions. While the most important are listed in the WikiProject properties page, more can be found on the list of properties for administrative territorial entities.
- main page: Items
- Wikidata:WikiProject Infoboxes/places#Settlements and administrative divisions
- Wikidata:WikiProject Infoboxes/places#Ontology
- Wikidata:List_of_properties#Geographical feature / Geografikum / Lieu
- Wikidata:WikiProject Countries (completed project)
- en:Category:Country subdivisions by administrative level
- en:Table of administrative divisions by country
- en:User:Pmanderson/Country subdivision
- en:List of country subdivisions by area
- en:List of country subdivisions by population
- v:Research in programming Wikidata/Countries
- v:Research in programming Wikidata/Subjects of Russia