Wikidata:Dataset Imports/Life expectancy at birth for countries and geographical regions
You may find these related resources helpful:
|Dataset Imports||Why import data into Wikidata.||Learn how to import data||Bot requests||Ask a data import question|
Guidelines for using this pageEdit
Documenting the importEdit
- Guidelines on how to import a dataset into Wikidata are available at Wikidata:Data Import Guide.
- Please include notes on all steps of the process.
- Once a dataset has been imported into Wikidata please edit the page to change the progress status from in progress to complete.
- It is strongly recommended to use Visual Editor when making changes to this page, particularly for editing any of the tables.
Creating a Wikidata item for the datasetEdit
- Please create a Wikidata item for the dataset, this will allow us to improve the coverage of datasets on Wikidata and understand what datasets are available on that topic and which of them have been added to Wikidata.
- If you are working with very large dataset you can break it into smaller Mix n' Match catalogues, but only create one Wikidata item.
- Link the dataset Wikidata item to this page using Wikidata Dataset Imports page (P5195)
- If your dataset import runs into issues please edit the page to change the progress status from in progress to help needed.
- You can ask for help on Wikidata:Project chat.
Life expectancy at birth for countries and geographical regions
UNESCO Institute of Statistics
http://data.uis.unesco.org/index.aspx?queryid=239 (select "Life expectancy" from dropdown menu)
Life expectancy for countries and geographical regions dating back to 1970. New data released annually, usually 3 years behind current year.
To avoid cluttering up country items with very large numbers of date qualified statements, available data has only been imported from 1999 onward (available from 1970 for many countries and regions). It is expected we will need to switch to using a Data Table on Wikimedia Commons in the future, as this would give access to full record of historical values with only a single statement on Wikidata. This has not been done at this stage because it is not yet possible to query Data Tables on Commons using the Wikidata Query Service.
Progress of importEdit
The table below is used to track the progress of importing this dataset. The suggested column headings are most applicable to data being imported from a spreadsheet - you can change some column headings or add new columns as required to best describe the progress of this import.
|Wikidata item for the dataset||Import data into spreadsheet||Format the spreadsheet to import the data||Structure of data within Wikidata||Match the dataset to Wikidata||Importing data into Wikidata||Visualisations||Maintainance queries and expected results|
|UIS life expectancy dataset (Q63494730)||Done (Link)||Done||Done||Done||Done||Done||Not done|
|Date||Description||Method||Properties||Qualifiers||References||Statements added||Statements removed||Link to import sheet|
|17 Oct 2018||Initial import of all countries from 1999 - 2016||QuickStatements||life expectancy (P2250)||point in time (P585)||3579||0||Import sheet|
Discussion of importEdit
Structure of data within WikidataEdit
|Field name||Wikidata property||Usage||Notes|
|Fertility rate||life expectancy (P2250)||Main statement||Use "year" as unit|
|Year of statistic||point in time (P585) (Qualifier)||Qualifier|
|reference URL (P854) = http://data.uis.unesco.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=DEMO_DS||Reference||Same for all statements|
|stated in (P248) = UNESCO Institute for Statistics (Q3152127)||Reference||Same for all statements|
Interactive heat map comparing life expectancy at birth for different countries around the world (2015 snapshot)Edit
Queries and expected resultsEdit
|Query link||Description||Expected results|
Schedule of new data releasedEdit
Released annually, generally around 3 years behind current year.