Wikidata:Property proposal/TI-99/4A Videogame House ID

TI-99/4A Videogame House IDEdit

Descriptionidentifier of a video game in the TI-99/4A Videogame House database
RepresentsTI-99/4A Videogame House (Q79608227)
Data typeExternal identifier
Domainvideo game (Q7889)
Allowed values(gamemain|prototypes|)\/?(carts[a-z]{1,2}\/)?[a-z0-9\-]{1,64}(\/|\.html|)
Example 1Alpiner (Q28451874)alpiner
Example 2Parsec (Q432193)parsec
Example 3Car Wars (Q5037247)carwars
Example 4Microsurgeon (Q6840371)microsurgeon
Example 5Robotron: 2084 (Q1736788)gamemain/cartsnr/robotron/
External linksUse in sister projects: [ar][de][en][es][fr][he][it][ja][ko][nl][pl][pt][ru][sv][vi][zh][commons][species][wd].
Number of IDs in source92
Expected completenesseventually complete (Q21873974)
Formatter URL$1.html


TI-99/4A Videogame House (Q79608227) is a databse of ~100 video games published on the venerable Texas Instruments TI-99/4A (Q454390). It has some usage on English Wikipedia, and a couple on Italian Wikipedia. Will make a Mix’n‘match catalogue for it. Jean-Fred (talk) 16:30, 24 December 2019 (UTC)


  •   Support David (talk) 07:13, 25 December 2019 (UTC)
  •   Comment @Eihel: Not sure I understand your “allowed values” − based on the examples it should just be \w+ no? Jean-Fred (talk) 16:57, 31 January 2020 (UTC)
    For Robotron: 2084 (Q1736788) (Eugene Jarvis version, but same game), Jean-Fred, robotron doesn't work, on the other hand, gamemain/cartsnr/robotron/ works. So this RegEx is perfect:
    1. before, there was no RegEx and
    2. \w does not support /. Cordially. —Eihel (talk) 17:49, 31 January 2020 (UTC)
    I see, that’s a good catch! All the examples I had checked did not have the I added Robotron as example, otherwise it’s very unclear! :-)
    Given this, I start thinking that external-id is not so much appropriate here, and that it should rather be URL… What do you think?
    (and er, thanks for the diff, but I did realise that the regex was missing initially when checking your change :-þ)
    Jean-Fred (talk) 18:02, 31 January 2020 (UTC)

  • @Jean-Frédéric, ديفيد عادل وهبة خليل 2, Eihel: TI-99/4A Videogame House ID (P7897)   Done. I ignored the regex, as would force all values to have an extra ".html" because of a value that seems to be unique within the database. Good contributions, Ederporto (talk) 05:03, 4 February 2020 (UTC)
    That’s actually a good point: the formatter URL is now flawed: gamemain/cartsnr/robotron/ does not resolve with$1.html ( I guess then the ID gamemain/cartsnr/robotron/index would work but this becomes a bit ridiculous… I really start thinking URL is a better choice:( Jean-Fred (talk) 07:56, 4 February 2020 (UTC)
    @Ederporto, Jean-Frédéric: The RegEx has already been discussed here and here: some IDs are long and others are short. The RegEx you put in doesn't work for the last example, as well as about half of the entries. I removed .html, because it doesn't change the entries. I also added .html, because the URL changes according to the page of certain games. We must also follow the discussions. Cordially. —Eihel (talk) 08:09, 4 February 2020 (UTC)
    PS. The property is created, so you no longer have to wonder if you need the URL datatype. —Eihel (talk) 08:13, 4 February 2020 (UTC)
    Well, if we agree that the situation is not so good, we can always get it changed :) I seemed to recall we can change datatype, but seems like this is only for string → external-id though :/
    Honestly, I think I made two mistakes here − the first one not noticing the two-ID system (long vs short, thanks to Eihel for noticing!), and then missing the issue with the trailing html. I really think it’s a stretch to say that alpiner.html and gamemain/cartsnr/robotron are identifiers − they’re, as Help:Data_type#URL says, A generalized "URL" that identifies some kind of external resource, perhaps […] an identifier used for lookup in some kind of specialized resource. .
    That being said this DB is only ~100 elements so, maybe not worth the trouble either...
    Jean-Fred (talk) 09:06, 4 February 2020 (UTC)