Wikidata:Property proposal/number of works
number of worksEdit
Originally proposed at Wikidata:Property proposal/Generic
|Description||A qualifier on identifiers, for databases of e.g. works by creator or works by location, giving the number of works in the external database that have a relationship to the creator or location identified by this identifer.|
|Data type||Number (not available yet)|
|Template parameter||eg: for use in en:Template:Art UK bio, to display the number of paintings linked to that painter in the Art UK database|
|Domain||qualifier on external identifier statements|
|Example||Simon Du Bois (Q12056662) : Art UK artist ID (P1367) → dubois-simon-16321708, qualifer: number of works → 9|
|Source||the external website in question|
|Planned use||Currently I have been using quantity (P1114) for this relationship; the new property would replace these uses.|
|Robot and gadget jobs||change uses of quantity (P1114) as a qualifier on Art UK artist ID (P1367) to use this new property instead|
This property is for where we have an external identifier that is a key for some external database, to give the number of rows/items/objects in that database related to the identifier (eg for an external database of painters and paintings, the number of paintings in that database associated with this painter ID).
This information has previously been widely edited in by hand in uses of the template en:Template:Art UK bio: it gives the reader a better idea of how rich the external resource is likely be, and so how much the link may be worth clicking through to.
The number can also have maintenance uses: for example in the columns of tracking pages like en:Wikipedia:GLAM/Your_paintings/Painters_born_1850-1874, sorting by the "number of works" column allows Mix'n'match searching to be prioritised for the painters most heavily represented in the collection.
I have initially been putting this information onto Wikidata using quantity (P1114) as a qualifier on Art UK artist ID (P1367) identifiers, eg diff, but a number of users have complained that P1114 is too generic, and its intended meaning as a qualifier on an external identifier was not immediately clear; and that it would be therefore better to create a new property specifically for this role.
- Support though I think the label should be clear this is "related items", not alternative versions of the same item. ArthurPSmith (talk) 17:29, 9 February 2017 (UTC)
- So perhaps "related match count" ? But that's still quite cryptic
- Another alternative would be not to make this quite so generic, but focus it more narrowly for use on databases of works-by-painter or works-by-collection or works-by-location etc, and just call it "number of works". This might be a lot more transparent to readers meeting the property on an item for the first time. Jheald (talk) 11:03, 11 February 2017 (UTC)
- I would want that it's used with an additional qualifier that specifies the type of item that counted. Maybe we could also use unit=artwork? ChristianKl (talk) 13:20, 11 February 2017 (UTC)
- Support. --Swpb (talk) 16:49, 15 February 2017 (UTC)
- Comment I have gone ahead and changed the proposed name to "number of works", and updated the description accordingly diff Jheald (talk) 20:50, 18 February 2017 (UTC)
- @ArthurPSmith, Swpb: Are you fine with the changed name? ChristianKl (talk) 09:36, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
- Question What number is taken when there multiple types of works stored by the database? For example in  there are releases and recordings listed. Will the sum be taken or each separate value? --Pasleim (talk) 09:46, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
- @Pasleim: In general, I think that would need to be decided and made clear on the talk page of the identifier property. For MusicBrainz, I would imagine recordings, since those are what MB holds detailed descriptions of. If there was general need for a second property, "number of editions or releases", that could also be proposed. Jheald (talk) 10:26, 21 February 2017 (UTC)