Wikidata:Sixth Birthday/Scotland< Wikidata:Sixth Birthday
Witchy Wikidata birthday celebration for Halloween 2018Edit
Wikidata is turning 6 years old at the end of October 2018 – “the source for open structured data on the web and for facts within Wikipedia.”(Wallis, 2014) so we are hosting a birthday celebration at the University of Edinburgh on Wednesday 31st October 2018 in time for Halloween in Teaching Studio LG.07, David Hume Tower.
In this session we will explain why Wikidata is so special, why its users are so excited by the possibilities it offers, why it may overtake Wikipedia in years to come as the project to watch and how it is quietly on course to change the world.
What will the session include?Edit
- An introduction to Wikidata: what it is, why it is useful and all the amazing things that can be done with structured, linked, machine-readable open data.
- A practical activity using the Survey of Scottish Witchcraft database where you will learn the ‘nuts & bolts’ of how to use and edit Wikidata (manually and in bulk) and help shape the future of open knowledge!
- A practical guide to querying Wikidata using the SPARQL Query Service.
- Cake and Wikidata swag to take home.
Who should attend?Edit
Absolutely anyone can use Wikidata for something, so people of all disciplines and walks of life are encouraged to attend this session. Basic knowledge of using the internet will be needed for the practical activity, but there are no other pre-requisites.
Anyone interested in open knowledge, academic research, application development or data visualisation should come away buzzing with exciting new ideas!
NB: Please bring a laptop with you OR email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours ahead of the event if you need to borrow one.
Please also create a Wikidata account ahead of the event.
- 10:45 - 11:00: Welcome, Tea/Coffee, Registration
- 11:00 - 11:30: Introduction to Wikidata, What the Hell Is It and Why Should We Care? - Dr. Sara Thomas, Scotland Programme Co-ordinator for Wikimedia UK.
- 11:30 - 12:30: Introduction to SPARQL queries - Delphine Dallison (Wikimedian at the Scottish Library and Information Council).
- 12:30 - 13:00: Break for lunch
- 13:00 - 14:30: Witchy data session - Ewan McAndrew (Wikimedian in Residence at the University of Edinburgh).
- Manual edits practical - adding data from the Survey of Scottish Witchcraft database to Wikidata.
- Mass edits practical - adding data in bulk from the Survey of Scottish Witchcraft database to Wikidata.
- Visualising the results
- 14:30 - 14:45:- Close and thanks.