- Chronological order
- Alphabetical order
- Natural order — lots of problem, often what's "natural" depends on cultural and ethnical constraints
- Family relations; list mother and father, and then children in chronological order
- Inheritance; list mothers family then fathers family
- Authors; list the authors on how much they have written, and at the end those that have only corrected the manuscript
- Alfabetisering/sortering: regler for norske bibliotek. Oslo: Norsk bibliotekforening. 1985. ISBN 8299093252.