Wikidata:Status updates/2018 03 19
This is the Wikidata summary of the week before 2018-03-19.
- Mind the (Language) Gap: Generation of Multilingual Wikipedia Summaries from Wikidata for ArticlePlaceholders by Lucie-Aimée Kaffee et al.
- Semantic labeling for quantitative data using Wikidata, by Phuc Nguyen and Hideaki Takeda
- OpenStreetMap Interview: Andy Mabbett, Wikidata and OSM - The OpenCage Geocoder blog
- How we’re using machine learning to visually enrich Wikidata, by Miriam Redi on WMF's blog
Other Noteworthy StuffEdit
- The property suggestions were updated last week, the last update was in December 2017. The most noticable effect is the higher ranking of "family name" (P734) on items about people. Input about the suggester is still welcome.
- There is an early conversation about structured licensing and copyright on Wikimedia Commons.
- George, le deuxième texte (fr), a website querying Wikidata to find French female authors, in order to bring more diversity in the literature school programs
- New, configurable download page for Mix’n’match catalogs (example)
- The Su Lab is looking for a postdoctoral researcher to work on Wikidata in the Gene Wiki team
- Help:Conflation of 2 persons
Did you know?Edit
- Newest properties:
- General datatypes: download link, INCI name, safety classification and labelling, may prevent, classification of the best at metas volantes
- External identifiers: Library of Congress Demographic Group Terms ID, TMDb movie ID, DDB ID, Irish Rugby Football Union men's sevens player ID, Irish Rugby Football Union women's sevens player ID, Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms ID, MR Author ID, BDH edition ID, AIDA freediver ID, equipement.paris.fr place ID, Generation MSX identifier, Sega8bit.com identifier, Abandonia identifier
- New property proposals to review: Norwegian war sailor register ID, PRS Legislative Research MP ID, Thésaurus de la désignation des œuvres architecturales et des espaces aménagés ID, Thésaurus de la désignation des objets mobiliers ID, TMDB person id, TMDB TV series ID, Biographical Dictionary of Georgia ID, ruchess ID, UK Provider Reference Number, Hungarian public body ID, medical evacuation to, hearing date, TMDB person id, TMDB TV series ID, RKDlibrary ID, IDA place ID, Kinoliste ID, Routard.com place ID, Scottish Rugby Union men's player ID, Scottish Rugby Union women's player ID, Scottish Rugby Union men's sevens player ID, Scottish Rugby Union women's sevens player ID, Women’s Elite Rugby ID
- Query examples:
- Newest WikiProjects: Indigenous peoples of North America
- Newest database reports: Friends episodes list
- Looking into current Lua usage to see where we can improve the Lua functions we provide (phab:T189506)
- When there is a constraint violation in a reference, the reference is now automatically expanded to make it more visible (phab:T177970)
- Looked into issues around notifying the Wikipedias about changes happening on Wikidata (sometimes delayed due to too quick bot editing) (phab:T189772)
- Fixed some translation issues in the embeded part of the Query Service (phab:T188990)
- Fixed an issue with usernames being broken for Wikidata changes in watchlist and RC on Wikipedia (phab:T189320)
- Optimizing a heavily used database table (wb_terms) (phab:T188279)
- Polishing a lot of things for lexicographical data first deployment
- Make it possible to remove a Form (phab:T173332)
You can see all open tickets related to Wikidata here. If you want to help, you can also have a look at the tasks needing a volunteer.
- Add labels, in your own language(s), for the new properties listed above.
- Suggested and open tasks!
- Contribute to a Showcase item.
- Help translate or proofread the interface and documentation pages, in your own language!
- Help merge identical items across Wikimedia projects.
- Help write the next summary!