Wikidata:WikiProject sum of all paintings/Top collections missing creator
This is an overview of the top collections missing creator (by number of paintings without creator (P170)) of the sum of all paintings. Also have a look at the collections overview and the missing creator.
How to createEdit
Every entry in the list contains a link to a tool to create new items for missing painters. The tool works by querying the database for all items with an English label like "painting by <name>" that don't have a creator (P170) and is sorted by the number of hits. It extracts the name from the label and queries the Mix'n'Match database for any valid person entries with the name as the label that don't already link to a Wikidata item. No filtering is done, so suggestions for multiple different people might show up. The "create" link will prefill Quick Statements so you can modify that output before submitting.
Open the link to the collection you want to work on. The work is being done entry by entry. You can start from the top and work your way down. In the first pass it's probably best to only work on easy entries (exact matches without any fuss where you can just click create).
- Per entry
- Open the link to the name in a new tab. This will open a search page where you check if that person already exists.
- Do a quick check to see if the person already exists or not. Don't spend too much time and don't worry too much about creating duplicate entries. These can easily be merged.
- Painter does not exist yet
- Click on one of the paintings you found in the search and follow the url to the museum website
- Often the museum website contains a bit of information on the painter, compare this with the suggested authority control links
- Sometimes the info included in the overview is enough, sometimes you have to click the links to check
- Open the link to quickstatements in a new tab.
- Remove the authority control lines which are invalid or you're not certain about. When in doubt: Remove. Having incorrect links is much worse than having missing links. You should only add links where you're sure about that it is the same person
- Click the "Do it" to create the new item. Output will appear at the bottom
- Painter already exists
- Check if the painter has occupation (P106) -> painter (Q1028181) and even the name is set as the English label or one of the English aliases. If not, fix it.
- You can manually update the item or use the pre-filled Quickstatements output
- Remove the "CREATE" from the output and replace the first "LAST" with the "Qxxx" (where Qxxx is the already existing painter item)
- Remove any lines that you don't need or are incorrect. Beware of the label lines, these will overwrite already existing labels and you might not want to do that
- Click the "Do it" to expand the existing painter item. Output will appear at the bottom and you can verify your edits in the history of the item.
- Expand the painter
Based on the museum website and the different authority control links you can expand the item.
- Link paintings
A bot runs every night that tries to connect paintings to the painters based on the following logic:
- Painting item has instance of (P31) -> painting (Q3305213) and an English label in the form "painting by <name>"
- Search engine will be used to look for "<name>"
- Painter item will match if it contains instance of (P31) -> human (Q5), occupation (P106) -> painter (Q1028181) and the English label or one of the English aliases is an exact match for "<name>"