User:Spinster/Flemish art collections, Wikidata and Linked Open Data
In this project, a group of Flemish museums and art collections publish metadata of their art collections (estimated: 35,000 artworks in total) on Wikidata, and then make this dataset available as Linked Open Data (LOD) (?).
All the artworks have persistent identifiers (?).
In this way, the information about the artworks can be enriched on Wikidata. This project is a first encounter of the participating art collections with the community of Wikimedia volunteers.
The project partners investigate whether the free infrastructure, provided by Wikidata, can be used by museums:
- to realize their open data strategies,
- and to publish their collection data as Linked Open Data without needing high IT investments.
The project's Dutch title is Linked Open Data publicatie met Wikidata.
Linked Open Data publicatie met Wikidata is a follow-up to several earlier projects:
- Persistente Identificatie (2013-2014) (information in Dutch) investigated if persistent URIs would simplify the maintenance and information exchange of artworks in 10 different Flemish art databases.
- Hoe word ik datauitgever? (2014-2015) (information in Dutch). In this project, persistent identifiers for more than 34,000 artworks from seven Flemish museums were made operational.
It is also closely associated with opencultuurdata.be.
Partners and contact infoEdit
Co-ordination: PACKED vzwEdit
PACKED vzw is the Flemish Centre of Expertise in Digital Heritage.
- Bert Lemmens - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Barbara Dierickx - email@example.com
- Alina Saenko - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rony Vissers - email@example.com
- Sandra Fauconnier (User:Spinster), advisor/producer, workshops, reports, community liaison (freelancer)
- User:Multichill, advisor/uploader (volunteer)
- Wikimedia Belgium: User:MADe, supervision
Flemish art collectionsEdit
- Whitepaper on open data management by cultural institutions on Wikidata. September-October 2015. Deliverable D1
- Open data publication of .csv datasets from the participating institutions. September-October 2015. Deliverable D2
- Workshop and advisory board meeting I. Wednesday 28 October 2015.
- Upload of .csv datasets to Wikidata. November 2015.
- RDF export from Wikidata. November-December 2015. Deliverable D3
- Handbook on open data management by cultural institutions on Wikidata. November-December 2015. Deliverable D4
- Final report. December 2015. Deliverable D5
- Workshop and advisory board meeting II. End December 2015.