I'm Ian and I live in Aberdeen.
I'm very interested in local history and supporting our local cultural institutions and empowering volunteers to work with them. Since 2019 I've been a WikiMedia UK trainer.
While I am interested in Wikipedia / Wiki Commons(see my Global Account Info or look deeper with Navel Gazer) I am particularly interested in using Wikidata more effectively. So I am always trying to learn more,
Having recently worked on a project on Plaques in Aberdeen I've more recently been working on the Provosts and Lord Provosts of Aberdeen going back to 1272.
I use this page to figure stuff out and keep my notes on projects.
Useful SPARQL resources and tutorialsEdit
Here's some links on SPARQL that I find useful and will likely want to reference in the future:
- NEW – Interactive WIKIDATA Query Service Tutorial
- another Wikidata SPARQL tutorial and exercises
- SPARQL Primer on WikiBooks
- Wikidata in brief one pager
- Query service in brief
- Query Examples - underpins Examples link
- Introduction to Graphs
- 16-min SPARQL tutorial
- Building SPARQL Queries (41 min tutorial)
- Querying WIKIDATA with Python
- Wikidata Integrator (Python library)
- Lucas Werkmeister – Querying Wikidata with SPARQL
If all else files, request a query .
How to use different colour markers in WikiData Queryservice Maps
Tutorials I've createdEdit
Articles I've written about using WikidataEdit
Most have a strong 'how to' focus.
- Adding all provosts and Lord provosts to Wikidata with Sara Thomas
- Querying Wikidata, timelines, analysis by occupation, forename - using plaques as an example
- Adding commemorative plaques to Wikidata
- Experimenting with timelines, Histropedia using Wikidata on graduates of Aberdeen Uni
- Adding Household Waste Recycling Centres to Wikidata and Openstreetmap with a team of others
- Capturing Aberdeen's Industrial Heritage - Iron Foundries
- using Google Sheets to clean 24,185 Nautical wrecks from Canmore and upload to Wikidata
- ensuring all Aberdeenshire settlements represented in Wikidata later used by this mobile App project
- Importing 3,085 Aberdeen Built Ships to Wikidata , which started here
Talks I've givenEdit
Wikidata identifiers I've proposedEdit