Function details: The bot will go through the page move log at selected Wikipedias. When a page has moved from A to B, the bot will
change the Wikidata label to B
if the Wikidata label X equals A
or if there exists a redirect page from X to B (indicating that the label X is not the primary term)
but not if B introduces a qualifer (anything in parenthesis or following a comma). So if a page is moved from "Basel" to "Basel (Switzerland)", the bot will leave the Wikidata label as "Basel".
add A as a Wikidata alias if a redirect from A to B exists.
set the label to B if no label existed from before.
When comparing page titles to Wikidata labels, the bot will ignore and preserve the case of the first character. So if the page "Ronin" is moved to "Rōnin", and the Wikidata label is "ronin", it is changed to "rōnin", not Rōnin" (test edit).
I've already done test editing for some time with nowiki (nb), and I've also tested a little bit with nn and sv, but I've been monitoring the bot edits closely. --Danmichaelo (talk) 22:48, 18 February 2018 (UTC)
@Danmichaelo: How will this relate to the process that modifies wikidata sitelinks to change A to B (I believe in some cases this currently does not work correctly)? In general this seems like a good idea, I've noticed many cases of organization name changes that are not caught in wikidata. ArthurPSmith (talk) 14:50, 20 February 2018 (UTC)
@ArthurPSmith: My impression has been that the sitelinks have been updating automatically and correctly for some time now, so I didn't yet consider checking those. It wouldn't be much extra work to check if they are indeed ok, so I could perhaps that. Let me know if you know of any specific cases where they do not update correctly. Danmichaelo (talk) 20:48, 20 February 2018 (UTC)
I had heard there was a problem when IP users do page moves. This was discussed in this RFC for instance - see discussion under "Number of redirects as sitelinks by project". ArthurPSmith (talk) 20:54, 20 February 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of phab:T143486. I'm adding checks for sitelinks. So far I've only come across a few cases where there's a Wikidata item both for the redirect page and the redirect target. For now I write a log entry so I can go over them manually, but will check if there's cases that can be handled automatically. Danmichaelo (talk) 18:00, 21 February 2018 (UTC)