License in referenceEdit
Hi there, the data come from the world bank and are under the cc-by 4.0 licence. According to  we need to provide a link to the license (check the section "Under the following terms:"). I think this is not a problem, because all the pictures used in Wikidata coming from the sister project commons are also under some cc-by licence (and not cc0). Cheers! Datawiki30 (talk) 20:03, 1 July 2019 (UTC)
- @Datawiki30: Adding data from CC-BY datasets is not legally allowed (see Lydia's message on your own talk page). Adding attribution to Wikidata doesn't change the fact that Wikidata itself is published as CC0 and doesn't require any attribution. It's not the same situation as Wikidata using Commons images because Wikidata doesn't contain any images from Commons - it only contains links to Commons. The equivalent would be adding tabular data to Commons and linking to that (which seems like the best solution here, although I don't know if non-CC0 licenses are enabled for tabular data on Commons yet, and you would both probably need to propose new properties). - Nikki (talk) 21:33, 3 July 2019 (UTC)
- @Nikki: Thank you for your comment! I'm not a license specialist but I have the following arguments:
- 1) When I was discussing the bot approval for adding P2131 I have argued with the FAQ for the CC0-License on creativecommons.org here - "[...]For example, if your work contains another person’s work made available under a CC Attribution license, you will need to identify that work separately, attribute the author and provide the license.[...]" According to this clarification it is generally not prohibited to use CC Attribution licence in CC0 "works" like wikidata.
- 2) Thank you for your hint about the pictures from wikicommons. Hmm... it's true that wikidata is storing the link and not the image itself. But it also true that on the wikidata item's page the user can not only find the link, but also view the image itself, which is often under CC Attribution license and needs attribution. After your argumentation it would be correct to use / show images with CC Attribution license without attribution on private webpages when embedding the image directly from wikicommons (and not storing the file on a private server locally). In my opinion this is wrong. When we are showing the image itself (and not only the link) on wikidata (and query.wikidata.org too) then we need an attribution. Cheers! Datawiki30 (talk) 18:14, 4 July 2019 (UTC)
Adding economic time series - some UI performace issuesEdit
Thank you for your contributions about economic time series. I operate the WDBot for the P2131 (nominal GDP). After I've added all available values for the GDP I figured out, that if I import all the available time series for all available properties for example to the USA this wound add some 1650 NEW statements for this entity. This would cause a slowing loading time of the wikidata UI, which many users use to browse and to edit the data. I discussed this here: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Contact_the_development_team/Archive/2018/11#Times-series_properties_-_Wikidata_UI_performance
So bear this in mind. You can start a new Discussion about this, but I think that the performance issue is still there.
If you are interested I can give you the Code for the WDBot to automatically read the actual values from the WorldBank Api and write back to Wikidata. To use the Bot on Wikidata you would need of course a separate user account and a Bot approval. Write me if you are interested. Cheers! Datawiki30 (talk) 20:37, 1 July 2019 (UTC)
- Hi Datawiki30!
- I'm very happy to see that you are active.
- I'm aware of UI issues. New discussion is in https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Contact_the_development_team#Optimize_Wikibase_handling_of_country_items and i'm afraid it will also end with nothing.
- I think that i found WDbot sources at https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User_talk:WDBot/Bot_Script_nominal_GDP_V002 .
- I'm currently working on reusable bot (you saw first effects) and i probably could create worldbank API reader based on it (currently i have only quickstatments-compatible reader).
- I will continue adding new data and i hope that WD team will fix these issues. 1650 statements is big number for brain but not for machine.
- If they will not i will be forced to dump my stuff to some private SQL but i really want to avoid it because i believe in collaboration.
- If You want to stay in touch fell free to contact me here or via matrix; @813gan:matrix.org, it also should be possible to use IRC bridge, just send IRC message to M813gan[m]