Wikidata:Dataset Imports/Libris Library Database
You may find these related resources helpful:
|Dataset Imports||Why import data into Wikidata.||Learn how to import data||Bot requests||Ask a data import question|
- 1 Guidelines for using this page
- 2 Overview
- 3 Progress of import
- 4 Edit history
- 5 Discussion of import
- 5.1 Wikidata item for dataset
- 5.2 Import data into spreadsheet
- 5.3 Format the spreadsheet to import the data
- 5.4 Structure of data within Wikidata
- 5.5 Match the dataset to Wikidata
- 5.6 Importing data into Wikidata
- 5.7 Import completion notes
- 5.8 Visualisations
- 6 Maintenance
Guidelines for using this pageEdit
Documenting the importEdit
- Guidelines on how to import a dataset into Wikidata are available at Wikidata:Data Import Guide.
- Please include notes on all steps of the process.
- Once a dataset has been imported into Wikidata please edit the page to change the progress status from in progress to complete.
- It is strongly recommended to use Visual Editor when making changes to this page, particularly for editing any of the tables.
Creating a Wikidata item for the datasetEdit
- Please create a Wikidata item for the dataset, this will allow us to improve the coverage of datasets on Wikidata and understand what datasets are available on that topic and which of them have been added to Wikidata.
- If you are working with very large dataset you can break it into smaller Mix n' Match catalogues, but only create one Wikidata item.
- Link the dataset Wikidata item to this page using Wikidata Dataset Imports page (P5195)
- If your dataset import runs into issues please edit the page to change the progress status from in progress to help needed.
- You can ask for help on Wikidata:Project chat.
Libris Library Database
National Library of Sweden
Database of libraries (public, school, etc) in Sweden.
Progress of importEdit
The table below is used to track the progress of importing this dataset. The suggested column headings are most applicable to data being imported from a spreadsheet - you can change some column headings or add new columns as required to best describe the progress of this import.
|Wikidata item for the dataset||Import data into spreadsheet||Format the spreadsheet to import the data||Structure of data within Wikidata||Match the dataset to Wikidata||Importing data into Wikidata||Visualisations||Maintainance queries and expected results|
|Libris library database (Q55502519)||yes||yes||yes||yes|
Use the table below to list batches of edits that have been completed for this dataset. Ideally each entry should have all applicable columns filled out, but at a minimum please make to add a date and description to give an idea of what was added to Wikidata and when.
|Date||Description||Method||Properties||Qualifiers||References||Statements added||Statements removed||Link to import sheet|
|2019-02-18||Create items for ~1000 public libraries||OpenRefine (direct upload)|
|2019-02-18||Create items for ~900 school libraries||OpenRefine (direct upload)|
|2019-02-18||Create items for ~190 academic libraries||OpenRefine (direct upload)|
Discussion of importEdit
These headings are generally useful, please change this section to suit your needs.
Wikidata item for datasetEdit
Import data into spreadsheetEdit
We downloaded the data in spreadsheet format from the link provided at https://biblioteksdatabasen.libris.kb.se/exportinfo/.
Format the spreadsheet to import the dataEdit
We used OpenRefine to view and edit the data, thus no extra formatting was necessary.
Structure of data within WikidataEdit
Match the dataset to WikidataEdit
The matching and reconciling was done in OpenRefine.
Before we started working with the dataset, there were only ca. 90 items for libraries (of any type) on Wikidata.
We decided to not touch those and instead focus on creating new items for the remaining thousands.
Because of problems with data quality, we removed some of the columns from the source data:
- Website – examining a sample showed these were often inaccurate, i.e. by pointing at a dead page, or an irrelevant one, such as the main page of the municipality rather than the library's page.
- Phone/e-mail – we knew from our communication with the data provider that the database was not well maintained, thus the risk of this data being outdated was higher than the possible benefit of including it.
- Gatuadress/Postnummer/Geocode – we decided to omit address data at this stage, again because of the known problems with updating the database. Also it is not clear which of these fields were most appropriate to include. However, we will discuss this with the data provider and hopefully will be able to include some sort of address data in a later run.
In order to set the located in the administrative territorial entity (P131) property, we used the kommunkod column, which contains the Swedish municipality code (P525) of the municipality.
A bunch of entries did not have a municipality code, or had an incorrect one.
The database also included a bunch of libraries outside Sweden (mostly in Norway, Denmark), because they're connected to the Libris system. Those were excluded.
Importing data into WikidataEdit
The import was done using OpenRefine and its upload functionality.
We uploaded one library type at a time.
Import completion notesEdit
The following batches have been ran so farEdit
Queries and expected resultsEdit
|Query link||Description||Expected results|
|Libraries in Sweden without municipality||Instance of subclass of library without located in the administrative territorial entity (P131)||Should be edited down to zero|
|Libraries in Sweden without location||Instance of subclass of library without location (P276)||Should be edited down to zero|
|Libraries in Sweden without coords||Instance of subclass of library without coordinate location (P625)||Should be edited down to zero|