Birth and death dates and their calendarsEdit
According to ru.wp, who cites this source, Chekhov was born 17 January (Julian) which translates to 29 January (Gregorian), and died 2 July (Julian) which translates to 15 July (Gregorian). The Integrated Authority File does not actually specify the date, only the year; I don't know what the Concise Literary Encyclopedia states, bit ru.wp also cites it for the 17/29 January - 2/15 July biographical dates.Andrei Stroe (talk) 15:34, 25 July 2016 (UTC)
- @Andrei Stroe: AFAIK the date numeric format in wikidata is always in UTC. Calendar info defines to which calendar they should be converted (correct me if I am wrong). Your change did break ruwiki infobox info (based on wikidata) which became inconsistent with article content (showing "5 (17) января 1860" instead of "17 (29) января 1860").
- Yes, the way Wikidata date information is displayed is misleading... Ankry (talk) 16:20, 25 July 2016 (UTC)
- @Andrei Stroe: OK, you were right and my information was outdated. I just found this discussion pointing this change. However, as you see, this change has made a great burden in wikidata data (how to recognize whether a "julian" date currently present in wikidata follow old or new rules?) and in wikis (at least ruwiki & plwikisource assume the date values are always in UTC, while rowikisource follow new rules; how about other wikis?). I have no idea how to resolve this cleanly without data loss/publishing false information. Ankry (talk) 14:32, 26 July 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks for digging around, @@Ankry:. I don't see any wikidata-wide fix for this either, maybe a bot that runs on a set of items and corrects Julian dates. Anyway, as it seems to impact ru.wp directly, I'm going to leave this article as is for now, and not touch any dates on Russian biographical items for a while.Andrei Stroe (talk) 14:47, 26 July 2016 (UTC)
- @Andrei Stroe: I recommend you to use WEF:Person gaget, it shows dates in both calendar models. -- Sergey kudryavtsev (talk) 11:53, 28 July 2016 (UTC)
I correct dates accoding a sources. But i don't undestand why GND states "Lebensdaten: 1860-1904", but somebody adds stated in (P248) = Integrated Authority File (Q36578) to full dates? -- Sergey kudryavtsev (talk) 12:12, 28 July 2016 (UTC)