Welcome to Wikidata, GuzzyG!
Wikidata is a free knowledge base that you can edit! It can be read and edited by humans and machines alike and you can go to any item page now and add to this ever-growing database!
Need some help getting started? Here are some pages you can familiarize yourself with:
- Introduction – An introduction to the project.
- Wikidata tours – Interactive tutorials to show you how Wikidata works.
- Community portal – The portal for community members.
- User options – including the 'Babel' extension, to set your language preferences.
- Contents – The main help page for editing and using the site.
- Project chat – Discussions about the project.
- Tools – A collection of user-developed tools to allow for easier completion of some tasks.
Please remember to sign your messages on talk pages by typing four tildes (~~~~); this will automatically insert your username and the date.
If you have any questions, please ask me on my talk page. If you want to try out editing, you can use the sandbox to try. Once again, welcome, and I hope you quickly feel comfortable here, and become an active editor for Wikidata.
When you merge items, you may want to use the merge.js gadget from help page about merging. It helps with merging, gives the option to always keep the lower number (which is older, so preferable in most cases) and removes the need to file a request on Wikidata:Requests for deletions.
With regards,- cycŋ - (talk • contribs • logs) 06:53, 23 April 2018 (UTC)
- @Bossanoven: As a career, it is certainly if you gain notability from it like Cardi.  a simple google search would tell you that. Unless you think sex work is a negative and should be hidden? But i guess we have to make a choice on this project, are we going to reflect the subjects actual career trajectory like the sources, or pick and choose on what's suitable based on what we think is appropriate or not? GuzzyG (talk) 13:51, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
It's mentioned in passing. She would not have an article if her career consisted solely of being an exotic dancer. That's the question you should ask yourself when editing descriptions - is it inherently notable? - Bossanoven (talk) 14:13, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
- @Bossanoven: I am not asking myself any questions when she got her social media fame DIRECTLY from her stripping career and stripping related posts which then got her into reality television. As such it is a defining career marker for her and she would tell you that herself as an advocate for sex workers. you need to ask yourself, if it was any other career would you be questioning it? Some people get notability from sex work. Do you think it is a bad thing to be a sex worker? GuzzyG (talk) 14:47, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
What about all the people who fight in militaries around the world? I'm sure they find that to be something that helped shape their career path after... do you really think "soldier" applies to Manute Bol? - Bossanoven (talk) 15:01, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
- @Bossanoven: Did Manute Bol's military career lead DIRECTLY into his basketball career? Like Cardi got famous DIRECTLY due to her dancing career online? No, so there's no comparison, if Cardi wasn't a dancer, there'd be no online fame and thus no reality television career and no rapping career. She is a famous dancer-rapper. You can do a biography on Bol without mentioning his military service and noone would care, you cannot do one on Cardi without mentioning how she got known via dancing. 15:57, 25 April 2018 (UTC)