User talk:Seav/Archive 1
|This page is an archive. Do not edit the contents of this page. Please direct any additional comments to the current talk page.|
Welcome to Wikidata, Seav!
Wikidata is a free knowledge base that you can edit! It can be read and edited by humans and machines alike and you can go to any item page now and add to this ever-growing database!
Need some help getting started? Here are some pages you can familiarize yourself with:
- Introduction – An introduction to the project.
- Wikidata tours – Interactive tutorials to show you how Wikidata works.
- Community portal – The portal for community members.
- User options – including the 'Babel' extension, to set your language preferences.
- Contents – The main help page for editing and using the site.
- Project chat – Discussions about the project.
- Tools – A collection of user-developed tools to allow for easier completion of some tasks.
Please remember to sign your messages on talk pages by typing four tildes (~~~~); this will automatically insert your username and the date.
If you have any questions, please ask me on my talk page. If you want to try out editing, you can use the sandbox to try. Once again, welcome, and I hope you quickly feel comfortable here, and become an active editor for Wikidata.
request for helpEdit
- The merge is correct. —seav (talk) 02:00, 3 November 2015 (UTC)
- Thanks. Should Mga Aklat ng mga Hari be merged into Q4224666 (Books of Kings)? -- -- -- 04:32, 5 November 2015 (UTC)
I have removed "Central Visayas" from Cebu City as the administrative unit. I think the correct administrative hierarchy is Cebu City > Province Cebu > Central Visyas. Unfortunately Central Visayas had highest priority. So our infoboxes do not work properly. Our infoboxes automatically climb up the administrative hierarchy on Wikidata recursively to get the province/state/prefecture of any place on the world. The settings in Cebu here on Wikidata destroyed the hierarchy and did a step over the province directly the the region, leaving out the province. But in the Philippines we state the province in the infoboxes, not the region. Now it works fine. See de:voy:Cebu City. Did I cause any problems on other projects? -- DerFussi 11:50, 3 February 2016 (UTC) PS: Or is Cebu City an independent city that does not belong to the same named province? -- DerFussi 12:33, 3 February 2016 (UTC)
- @DerFussi:, your PS is correct. Legally, Cebu City is independent of Cebu province (despite Cebu City being the province's capital and many people considering Cebu City as part of the province). Please see w:Cities of the Philippines#Independent cities for the details and the possible confusion. This is why Central Visayas should be the preferred value over Cebu province. —seav (talk) 13:34, 3 February 2016 (UTC)
Advice on batch editing?Edit
Hello, Seav. I am planning to do update population and area properties on some (unfinished) Philippine city and municipality items. But doing so is tedious task. I tried searching for an easier way but it appears the Tools are complex for me to understand. It appears you are familiar with QuickStatements or WiDar, or other Wikidata tools. I could not decipher how to use such complex tools for batch editing the Philippine city/town items (most likely it would be easier if it was possible to do the editing of the same property of several items in one window). Could you please advise? Thanks. Sanglahi86 (talk) 21:35, 11 September 2016 (UTC)