Page to translate edit
Hi @TheAafi, as admin translator as you are, I would like to ask you please to mark Wikidata:Wikiproject Lieder as translatable. This is a Wikiproject I coordinate and would like to have it also in Catalan, my mother language. Thank you very much. Robertgarrigos (talk) 10:41, 21 October 2022 (UTC)
- Hi @Robertgarrigos, I'd be glad to help you. The page you mentioned has got two huge tables and it would be time consuming for me to prepare them for translatiom. Please allow me sometime and I'll prepare this. Best, ─ The Aafī (talk) 14:02, 21 October 2022 (UTC)
- Hi @Robertgarrigos, although I have prepared and marked it for translation, we are sadly facing a bug phab:T320220. ─ The Aafī (talk) 14:18, 21 October 2022 (UTC)
- I actually don't care about the tables, as they are properties which in fact get already translated, and thus it wouldn't be necessary. Robertgarrigos (talk) 16:10, 21 October 2022 (UTC)
changed source on translatable page edit
Hi @TheAafi, I changed the source of Wikidata:Wikiproject Lieder, and now I realize that the new text is not available to translate. Do you have to do something to the page every time I change anything on it? In that case, wouldn't it be better if I have permissions to do so myself? Otherwise, this would refrain me to do further adjustments in the future. Do you agree? Thanks. Robertgarrigos (talk) 18:01, 22 October 2022 (UTC)
- Dear Robertgarrigos, everytime you make any change to the page, it needs to be marked for translation by an admin. I'll be back on my system very soon and help you with this. Best, AafiOnMobile (talk) 18:04, 22 October 2022 (UTC)
P642 deprecation edit
@TheAafi: Hi, I saw that you recently updated the of (P642) description in Urdu, indicating that you are aware of the ongoing deprecation effort. I found a category Category:Pages using Wikidata property P642 (Q35489153) with a link to a page ur:زمرہ:صفحات مع خاصیت P642 in Urdu, among others. I'm right now unable to obtain any help from Google Translate, but I recall that when I looked at it earlier, I concluded that it contained links to Wikipedia articles (in Urdu) somehow involving the P642 qualifier.
I hope to avoid breaking things that worked in the past in Wikipedia, and would therefore like to know in what way those Urdu articles relate to P642.
Would you be able to look into one or two of those articles and see what the P642 references are about? If you can explain the context and whether there is something in them that will have to be changed, we may want to facilitate a migration process for those pages, preferably coordinated with Urdu Wikipedia editors. SM5POR (talk) 07:53, 27 January 2023 (UTC)
- Hi @SM5POR, a little look on the articles shows that these pages have infoboxes fetched from Wikidata. I am personally not aware of P642 and for what it is used. If you tell me more, I can perhaps dig out more from urwiki. Best, ─ The Aafī (talk) 11:13, 27 January 2023 (UTC)
- @TheAafi: I see, thanks for the explanation! Nearly two years ago Lucas Werkmeister wrote an essay arguing that the Wikidata property of (P642) suffers from merely being an English preposition with no single meaning that can be unambiguously translated into other language, and he recommended that it be phased out and replaced by other properties.
- Discussion of his proposal eventually led to a decision to follow this recommendation, and a project Wikidata:WikiProject Data Quality/Issues/P642 was launched a year ago. During 2022, some 10 million (!) instances of of (P642) were found to be due to an astronomical database indicating proper motion of stars and could be eliminated by defining two new properties for that purpose. Now we have fewer than a million instances left, and they are used with several different main properties, meaning that the remaining ones will take considerably more work to deal with.
- I initially wasn't aware of the discussion, nor did I take part in the decision to deprecate of (P642), but I agree very much with the need for doing so, and I'm helping out with the inventory of current use cases. For one thing, I have set up a page Wikidata:WikiProject Data Quality/Issues/P642/Property labels specifically about translating the labels of any new properties into a number of languages to make sure they won't suffer from the same translation problems as of (P642) has done.
- As for myself, I only speak Swedish and English plus a little German and Spanish, but the project will have to rely on feedback from editors knowledgeable in other languages such as Russian, Arabic, Japanese and Chinese. Out of curiosity, I had Google translate the Urdu label بہ into English and got the response "by" which I find just as unclear as "of". The Arabic and Japanese labels both re-translate to "about", and the Chinese one to "belong".
- Anyway, we will have to look at the individual uses of P642 to understand how it should be rewritten. I tried to access the infobox for ur:https://ur.wikipedia.org/wiki/آنی_لووف (a Swedish politician I recognize) but couldn't find its source; what I want to know is which statement or query mentions "P642" so that I can compare it with our other use cases and determine how it should be dealt with.
- Looking at her Wikidata item Annie Lööf (Q439393) I find exactly one use of of (P642) and that is Annie Lööf (Q439393)position held (P39)party leader (Q1553195)
of (P642)Centre Party (Q110832); Annie Lööf is the leader "of" the Centre Party. The property position held (P39) is actually one of the use cases I'm working on, and my current idea is to create a new property "in service of" or similar, to be used with positions like this one (leadership roles, public administrative or private management roles): Party leader, president, prime minister, attorney general, ambassador, CEO, treasurer, auditor etc who perform a task "in service of" a country, a government agency, a corporate organization, an NGO and so on.
- Can you tell me, does the Urdu infobox in this article make any mention of properties P39 or P642? If both are present somewhere in the code, that's where we will need to change "P642" into something else whenever we have decided if "in service of" will be the replacement qualifier. If you can find out what URL those properties are found on, that would be very helpful. --SM5POR (talk) 20:50, 27 January 2023 (UTC)
- @SM5POR: In that article I was able to find an alternate word in place of "بہ" - the actual label in the translation. I am not sure what this label means but its alternate "در" could be easily located on the article of Loof. The one is that of party leader and the other one is "Member of Riksdag" to which she entered through 2018 Swedish general election (Q18332247) ─ The Aafī (talk) 05:51, 28 January 2023 (UTC)
Category issue edit
I made that edit (which you reverted just now ) because currently that page was adding translation subpages to non-existing categories Category:Wikidata/fr, Category:Wikidata/es, etc. I was fixing that actually. Thanks —Vis M (talk) 11:23, 4 June 2023 (UTC)
- @Vis M, this is the anatomy of pages in translation. Not having the category marked for translation would add all of the translation subpages to base category at Category:Wikidata. Your edit was half-okay, and if there existed Category:Wikidata:Discord, I would not have reverted your edit. See for instance, Category:Wikidata:Introduction. There is no other way afaics. Best, ─ The Aafī (talk) 12:29, 4 June 2023 (UTC)
- Ok, I was thinking to create it after the edit gets approved. I have created Category:Wikidata:Discord now. Will that suffice? Regards —Vis M (talk) 15:27, 4 June 2023 (UTC)