Wikidata:Property proposal/langue d'écriture
Notified participants of WikiProject Books @Tpt, VIGNERON, Billinghurst: On wikisources, we need to store (through categories or infoboxes) the languages in which an author wrote, not ALL the languages s/he spokes or reads. It is a very important info for a writer. This info is as specific as the instrument a musician plays... it is identified specifically in UNIMARC (Q2755217)'s field 101, by opposition to field 102 for country (which do not systematically match) on Library catalogs.
- translator (Q333634) translate from many languages, but generally only in one or two target language. For library authorities purpose, it is important to know not only the list of languages they translated, but also which are the target language/s.
- philologist (Q13418253) and linguist (Q14467526) who, by definition, read and know a lot of languages, generally publish in only one or two, like Georges Dumézil (Q310590) who was said to master dozens of languages (> 30), but only wrote and published in French (Q150)...
We used languages spoken, written or signed (P1412) for long, but it is now flooded with all sorts of languages that people read, or speak, or even understand, which leads to nonsense info about the writing languages of an author, like saying Jules Verne (Q33977) wrote in esperanto, and a discussion on frws, aiming to remove info coming from wikidata because of this...
For years, the solution given by Tpt (talk • contribs • logs) was to "privilege" the writing language, but this seems to pose problems to esperanto projects... and was systematically undone recently. --Hsarrazin (talk) 22:07, 6 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support Useful. --Yann (talk) 05:33, 7 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support Strong rationale. NMaia (talk) 06:20, 7 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support Robin van der Vliet (talk) (contribs) 12:29, 7 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support - PKM (talk) 13:38, 8 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support --Candalua (talk) 13:34, 11 May 2019 (UTC)
- Isn't this already stored by the language statements on the works that the author wrote? --Yair rand (talk) 18:52, 13 May 2019 (UTC)