Welcome to Wikidata, NeverDoING!
Wikidata is a free knowledge base that you can edit! It can be read and edited by humans and machines alike and you can go to any item page now and add to this ever-growing database!
Need some help getting started? Here are some pages you can familiarize yourself with:
- Introduction – An introduction to the project.
- Wikidata tours – Interactive tutorials to show you how Wikidata works.
- Community portal – The portal for community members.
- User options – including the 'Babel' extension, to set your language preferences.
- Contents – The main help page for editing and using the site.
- Project chat – Discussions about the project.
- Tools – A collection of user-developed tools to allow for easier completion of some tasks.
Please remember to sign your messages on talk pages by typing four tildes (~~~~); this will automatically insert your username and the date.
If you have any questions, please ask me on my talk page. If you want to try out editing, you can use the sandbox to try. Once again, welcome, and I hope you quickly feel comfortable here, and become an active editor for Wikidata.
For merging items, you may want to use the merge.js gadget from help page about merging. It has an option "Request deletion for extra items on RfD" to automatically place a request to delete the emptied page. This way of nominating makes it a lot easier for the admins to process the requests.
some help toolsEdit
Hi NeverDoING! You may add some help tools to user:NeverDoING/common.js . Please see User:Rotsaert8000 (in Esperanto), Wikidata:Tools, and Wikidata:Tools/User scripts. On the user:i18n-page you will see all WD gadget links. It takes time to see what fits most of your interests. Good luck gangLeri לערי ריינהארט (talk) 19:21, 23 May 2014 (UTC)
Items about humansEdit
Categories are a wikimedia creation, so ...Edit
Hi NeverDoING, somehow the name seems odd. It's only used on Katherine Douglas Smith (Q54863468). How do we know that Douglas is one of her given names and not a surname? Even if it's a given name, it's a separate name. So P735 would just have two values. I'd replace it with "Katherine" and delete the item. As I don't have any data on "Douglas", I wouldn't add if for now. What do you think? BTW, thanks for your most helpful contributions to names in general. --- Jura 09:29, 15 October 2018 (UTC)
- I replaced it per above. --- Jura 10:24, 16 October 2018 (UTC)
Works vs EditionsEdit
Hello NeverDoING. Thank you for contributing to Wikidata. I appreciate your work here.
I saw that you added s:en:The Roman Breviary to Roman Breviary (Q19894488). This is not correct because s:en:The Roman Breviary is an edition, not a work, but Roman Breviary (Q19894488) is a work, not an edition.
I have fixed it for you. I split Roman Breviary (Q19894488) into three different items. The three items are:
- Roman Breviary (Q19894488) is a breviary (a liturgical work), written in Latin in 1568 with subsequent modified editions since that date.
- The Roman Breviary (Q67197093) is a translation of that breviary, written in English by John Patrick Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute, and first published in 1908
- The Roman Breviary (Q67197055) is the first edition of Bute's translation, published 1908 by William Blackwood and Sons, and is linked to s:en:The Roman Breviary
In the future, please create separate Wikidata items for each of the following:
- The original work
- Each translation of the work
- Each published copy of the original work
- Each published copy of a translation of the work.