Wikidata:Status updates/2018 03 12
This is the Wikidata summary of the week before 2018-03-12.
- New request for comments: Notability and Commons
- Structured Data on Commons is the most important development in Wikimedia's usability, by John Lubbock
- Data on the history of Scottish witch trials added to Wikidata, by John Lubbock
- German Wikidata Workshop on "Wikidata: Potential uses and application examples for digital cultural heritage" during the conference DHd 2018
- Automatically Generating Wikipedia Info-boxes from Wikidata, by Tomás Sáez and Aidan Hogan
- Linking ImageNet WordNet Synsets with Wikidata, by Finn Årup Nielsen
- Towards a Question Answering System over the Semantic Web, by Dennis Diefenbach et al.
- Practical Linked Data Access via SPARQL: The Case of Wikidata, by Markus Krötzsch et al.
Other Noteworthy StuffEdit
- WDQS updater switched to Kafka
- First version of Lexicographical Data will be released in April
- Wikidata:Database reports/Constraint violations updated
- "autopatrolled" entries to be removed from the logging table
- You can have a look at the Europeana migration campaign and help with translations in your languages
- Mix'n'Match new features: Creation Candidates and Top missing entries
- WDCM Journal: gender equity in Wikidata usage
Did you know?Edit
- Newest properties:
- General datatypes: calculated from
- External identifiers: Ready64 identifier, GameBase 64 identifier, Plus/4 World identifier, Rugby Football Union men's player ID, Snooker.org tournament ID, Rugby Football Union women's sevens player ID, Rugby Football Union men's sevens player ID, CueTracker tournament ID, Rugby Football Union women's player ID, PRotein Ontology ID, Invaluable.com artist ID, Ricorso author ID, AINM ID, Julien ID, Todotango.com artist ID, Todotango.com work ID, The Big Cartoon DataBase ID, Small Monuments of Plzeň Catalogue ID, SFMOMA artist ID, Japan Rugby Football Union men's player ID, Japan Rugby Football Union women's player ID, BFMTV.com director ID, Japan Rugby Football Union women's sevens player ID, Japan Rugby Football Union men's sevens player ID, Societe.com director ID, Dominicains ID, Premiers préfets ID
- Query examples:
- Some costume items ending in 'us'
- Women on Wikidata without article in any Wikipedia, ordered by number of statements (source)
- WikiProjects about women (source)
- Software of the KDE community (source)
- Films starring more than one future head of government (source)
- Timeline of prominent Women Computer Scientists (source)
- Newest database reports: list of episodes of Borgen
- Significantly (on average to 1/4th) reduced the number of changes from Wikidata showing up on the watchlists and recent changes on Wikipedias and the other sister projects. This way changes that do not affect an article should no longer show up. We're still holding off roll-out to Commons, Cebuano, Waray-Waray and Armenian Wikipedia because of scalability concerns.
- Working on optimizing one of the largest database tables (wb_terms) (phab:T188279)
- Fixing a bug on how Wikidata changes are shown on Wikipedia (phab:T189320)
- Continued addressing security review issues for Wikibase-Lexeme extension (phab:T186726)
You can see all open tickets related to Wikidata here. If you want to help, you can also have a look at the tasks needing a volunteer.
- Add labels, in your own language(s), for the new properties listed above.
- Comment on property proposals: all open proposals
- Suggested and open tasks!
- Contribute to a Showcase item.
- Help translate or proofread the interface and documentation pages, in your own language!
- Help merge identical items across Wikimedia projects.
- Help write the next summary!
Final note from Léa: thanks to people who participated to the feedback loop! Today's Weekly Summary is already improved thanks to your suggestions. Feel free to add more comments, and feel free to edit the Weekly Summary yourself: all small contributions are welcome :)