Project to coordinate and improve items about specific parliaments and their members, at least unless there is a more specific project for the country.
Projects for specific tasksEdit
Projects for specific countriesEdit
The participants listed below can be notified using the following template in discussions:
In the case of a unicameral legislature (e.g. Parliament of Finland (Q643412)):
For a legislature with multiple houses, an Item should exist for the legislature as a whole (e.g. Parliament of the United Kingdom (Q11010)), with instance of (P31): bicameral legislature (Q189445), and which then has part (P527) the individual chambers (e.g. House of Commons (Q11005)), which link back in turn with part of (P361). Each should be an instance of lower house (Q375928) or upper house (Q637846) (or a subclass of either), if appropriate.
When adding country (P17) for a legislature, or chamber ensure that the correct country entity is used. This is usually straightforward, but be aware of cases like Denmark (Q35) vs Danish Realm (Q756617). For subnational legislatures, just copy the country (P17) used by the national level legislature(s).
When adding applies to jurisdiction (P1001) for a subnational legislature this should link to the geographic region/entity to which the legislature applies. For example for the Landtag of Brandenburg (Q521764), the applies to jurisdiction (P1001) would be Brandenburg (Q1208).
The item for the country should link to the legislature using legislative body (P194), for example:
If the legislative house has changed its number of seats over time, you can use start time (P580) and end time (P582) qualifiers on the number of seats (P1342) statement to provide date ranges. However, you may wish to instead use the number of seats (P1342) statements on the legislative terms instead, for historical data. The current seat count statement should have preferred rank.
For parliamentary termsEdit
The inception is the date that the term started. Only rarely will this be the election date - usually the inception, or start date, of the parliament is on a different day, and that's the date that should be used.
Generalised base items (such as legislative term of the Riigikogu (Q21115902) should have:
Where there is a "List of Members" page for a term on a Wikipedia, the associated Wikidata page for the list (e.g. list of MPs elected in the United Kingdom general election, 2010 (Q4158639)) should have:
and the term can link back to it with has list (P2354). For example:
A Legislature-specific base item (such as constituency of the House of Commons (Q27971968), or provincial electoral district of Quebec (Q2973931)) should show which legislature the districts belong to, how many there are (or have been at other times), and the country and jurisdiction in question:
For members of parliamentEdit
Many countries have specific identifiers for members of parliament. Constraints on these may define the model to be used for these members. New similar properties are very useful, and should be requested at Wikidata:Property proposal if an external site maintains a consistent and persistent list (i.e. IDs are unique over time, and do not disappear or get re-used after a member leaves office.)
- Argentina: Argentine Chamber of Deputies ID (P4454) / Argentine Senate member ID (P4453)
- Armenia: Armenian Parliamentary ID (P5213)
- Austria: Austrian Parliament ID (P2280) / Austrian Parliament 1848 - 1918 ID (P7491)
- Belgium: Belgian Senate person ID (P3298)
- Brazil: Brazilian federal deputy ID (P7480)
- Czechia: Czech parliament ID (P6828)
- Estonia: Riigikogu ID (P4287)
- Finland: Finnish MP ID (P2181)
- France: Sycomore ID (P1045) / French National Assembly ID (P4123) / senat.fr ID (P1808)
- Germany: biography at the Bundestag of Germany URL (P1713) (abgeordnetenwatch.de politician ID (P5355) )
- Greece: Member of the Hellenic Parliament ID (P2278)
- Hong Kong: DLCM ID (P5303)
- Hungary: Hungarian National Assembly identifier (P4966)
- India: PRS Legislative Research MP ID (P4978)
- Ireland: Oireachtas member ID (P4690)
- Italy: Italian Chamber of Deputies dati ID (P1341) / Italian Senate of the Republic ID (P2549) (Openpolis ID (P1229) )
- Liechtenstein: Landtag of Liechtenstein ID (P4267)
- Morocco: House of Representatives of Morocco ID (P5451)
- Netherlands: Dutch Senate person ID (P1959)
- Nigeria: National Assembly of Nigeria ID (P4139)
- Norway: Storting person ID (P3072)
- Northern Ireland: Northern Ireland Assembly ID (P5870)
- Portugal: member of the Portuguese parliament ID (P6199)
- Sweden: Riksdagen person-ID (P1214)
- Switzerland: Swiss parliament ID (P1307)
- Ukraine: Verkhovna Rada MP ID (P3391)
- United Kingdom: parliament.uk biography pages (P1996) / Hansard (1803–2005) ID (P2015) / Hansard (2006–March 2016) ID (P2170) / History of Parliament ID (P1614) / UK Parliament identifier (P6213)
- United States of America: US Congress Bio ID (P1157)
- Wales: Welsh assembly ID (P4651)