Here's your quick overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over the last week.
- Tool of the week
- wdumps allows you to create a limited RDF dump from Wikidata, for those times when your SPARQL queries keep timing out. It is not particularly user-friendly, and it typically takes several hours to get a complete dump, but it is the best way to for example get a list of all English names of humans in Wikidata, or a list of every scientific article with its title and DOI.
- Other Noteworthy Stuff
- The former WikiProject iNaturalist was renamed WikiProject Biodiversity to allow discussions beyond iNaturalist.
- Special:FewestRevisions to be disabled, if you are currently using it, please leave a comment
- Winners of the Wikidata competition during Museum Day 2020: VIGNERON, Alexmar983, Braveheart, Pasleim, Benoît Prieur, Uli.ch, Nono314, Sukkoria and Airon90. Congratulations!
- As part of a thesis project, the search engine "Lister" has been developed to make it easier for the general public to access data on the Semantic Web in general, and WikiData specifically. It's in a usability test-phase right now, and if you'd like to try it out and help improve it, you can do so at this link. The test should at most 15 minutes.
- Follow the discussion about restricting editing of properties to autoconfirmed users.
- New domain
toolforge.org to be adopted by our Toolforge community. New domain/scheme for Toolforge-hosted webservices will change from
toolname.toolforge.org with the aim to introduce permanent redirects for the legacy URLs on 2020-06-15.
- Wikidata development team is currently running a survey until June 9th to understand better how people access and reuse Wikidata’s data from the code of their applications and tools (for example through APIs), and how we can improve the tools to make your workflows easier. If you would like to participate, please use this link (Google Forms, estimated fill-in time 5min).
- Did you know?
- Newest properties:
- General datatypes: curricula, attribution text, based on tabular data
- External identifiers: FlashScore.com player ID, Aberdeen Built Ships ID, Origin video game ID, npm package, FEMA number, Mod DB mod ID, Ubisoft Store game ID, Norwegian prisoner register person ID, ID natural monuments in Landkreis Oberspreewald-Lausitz, LombardiaBeniCulturali architecture author ID, BaGLAMa GID, GMC membership number
- New property proposals to review:
- General datatypes: parish church, ISCO-08 occupation code, official product site, tag, heraldic attitude, Non volatile storage capacity
- External identifiers: Australian Classification ID, EU-Football.info stadium ID, Semantic Scholar corpus ID, Olympedia ID, Emmys person ID, Archivio Storico Ricordi person ID, New York Times contributor ID, Cinema Context, Helsinki persistent building ID Ratu, Xfinity Stream ID, Juno Download album ID 2, sobory.ru, HBO Max ID, Yle Topic ID, Den Store Danske ID, Dansk litteraturs historie ID, Geneanet genealogist ID, IGRS video game ID, Wiki-Brest ID, Wiki-Narbonne ID, Wiki-Niort ID, Wiki Pas-de-Calais ID, Wiki-Rennes ID, Wikimanche ID, Wiki-Anjou ID, Picardia ID, Grandterrier.net ID, BoardGameGeek family ID, Proleksis enciklopedija ID, VIAF partner ID
- Query examples:
- More documentation for federated properties
- Properly display federated properties on a local item's Revision History page (phab:T249836)
- More improvements on the Wikidata Bridge
- Add Wikidata support for awawiki (phab:T252870)
- Fix various bugs on Wikibase
- Work on improving the unclear error messages (phab:T247690)
- Create reports for the reference hunt game
You can see all open tickets related to Wikidata here. If you want to help, you can also have a look at the tasks needing a volunteer.