Welcome to Wikidata, SPQRobin!
Wikidata is a free knowledge base that you can edit! It can be read and edited by humans and machines alike and you can go to any item page now and add to this ever-growing database!
Need some help getting started? Here are some pages you can familiarize yourself with:
- Wikidata:About – About the project.
- Wikidata:Introduction – Another introduction to the project.
- Help:Contents – The main help portal for editing and using the site.
- Wikidata:Project chat – Discussions about the project.
If you have any questions, please ask me on my talk page. If you want to try out editing, you can use the sandbox to try. Once again, welcome, and I hope you quickly feel comfortable here, and become an active editor for Wikidata.
- You're welcome. I fixed a lot of names, because a lot of them were in the wrong language (mostly French where they should have been Dutch or English). You should be careful about the language, since we have four different language areas in Belgium, so the respective language should be used. SPQRobin (talk) 20:37, 2 February 2013 (UTC)
Congratulations, Dear Administrator!Edit
SPQRobin, congratulations! You now have the rights of administrator on Wikidata. Please take a moment to read the Wikidata:Administrators page and watchlist related pages (in particular Wikidata:Project chat and Wikidata:Administrators' noticeboard), before launching yourself into page deletions, page protections, account blockings, or modifications of protected pages.
Please feel free to join us on IRC: #wikidata-admin @ irc.freenode.net. If you need access, you can flag someone down at #wikimedia-wikidata @ irc.freenode.net. You may find Commons:Guide to adminship to be useful reading, although it doesn't always completely apply here at Wikidata. You may also want to consider adding yourself to meta:Template:Wikidata/Ambassadors, and to any similar page on your home wiki if one exists. (WT:Wikidata/Wikidatans on En-WP.)
Please also add/update the languages you speak to your listing at Wikidata:List of administrators. You may also like to add your username to this list if you would not like that items you delete at RfD get marked as deleted automatically. Again, welcome to the admin corps!
Country Subdivision Task Force: AustriaEdit
Dear Robin, you created the page Wikidata:Country_subdivision_task_force/Austria some time ago. We would like to work on that and I already began to rearrange some things and add some contains administrative territorial entity (P150) properties to the municipality-level. Thank you for your help and maybe you want to have a look... Best regards, --Zuphilip (talk) 18:42, 6 October 2013 (UTC)
Hey, there! Was it your intention to add "S" as an alias the state of New York? Was this supposed to serve some purpose or was it just an accident? It doesn't seem to fit otherwise. If you were using it for something, and my removal of it hindered that, I apologize and will replace it. TCN7JM 05:20, 24 November 2013 (UTC)
Hi SPQRobin, I've noticed that you have re-added instance of (P31): political party (Q7278) in the item independent politician (Q327591). I'm working on the value constraints of member of political party (P102) right now and have been manually removing politician items that have member of political party (P102):independent politician (Q327591) and replace it with the special "no value". To me, it doesn't make sense to put a non-party item in the property that specifically states "member of a political party". What do you think? Is it okay if I remove instance of (P31): political party (Q7278) in independent politician (Q327591)? --Wylve (talk) 01:55, 10 January 2014 (UTC)
- I had thought about that as well, but I was not sure what would be the best, since "no value" would seem less clear to me than specifically "independent politician", but it's ok to change it if you think "no value" is better. I would just recommend to find a way to do it automatically instead of manually, since there are a lot of such items :-) SPQRobin (talk) 13:46, 11 January 2014 (UTC)
- Can "no value" have qualifiers and exist simultaneously with another instance of (P31) claim? Some people are affirmatively independent politician (Q327591) only for a period, and have a party for other times. Also, if a bot job "helpfully" decides to fill in politicians' information based on elections, what are the chances that the bot writer will make no distinction between a partisan election (in which the candidate was explicitly independent politician (Q327591)), from a non-partisan election (in which party was not an official part of the ballot)? It appears to be confusing enough for some people already: I've seen Wikipedia articles in which users have labeled everyone "independent" in a nonpartisan election. (Also, shouldn't this change be explicitly discussed on Property talk:P102 if a bunch of people want to do it a different way despite Wylve's wishes?) --Closeapple (talk) 13:21, 6 July 2014 (UTC)
- Also, CLAIM 102:327591 (independent politician) matches 696 items right now, and CLAIM 102:4294967295 (no label) returns 214 items. Someone must have thought independent politician (Q327591) was a good idea. Who was it? And aren't infoboxes on the Wikipedias using links to their independent politician (Q327591) articles to designate politicians as independent? --Closeapple (talk) 13:41, 6 July 2014 (UTC)
- @Closeapple: The answer to the first question is yes, no values can have qualifiers and can exist simultaneously with other instance of claims. Regarding the bot problem, it is the responsibility of the bot writer to provide accurate information. Furthermore, member of political party (P102) should be filled with values relating to the membership of the politician in question, not their representation of a certain party in any election. If politician A decides to run as an independent politician in an election while still being a member of political party B, then politician A should not be marked as an independent politician on Wikidata. However, politician A would be marked as "independent" on the Wikipedia article on the election itself, as the party indication is about the organisation the candidates represents in that election, not the party membership of each candidate.
- I did leave a note at member of political party (P102) regarding the usage. I did not explicitly ask for a discussion on the use because it is illogical to say that an independent politician is a political party. An individual human does not represent a group of humans. Wikipedians can write a Lua script in the infobox template to automatically link to the "independent politician" article when a no value is present in the claim. —Wylve (talk) 15:28, 6 July 2014 (UTC)
Locked Dutch wikinewsEdit
Hi, SPQRobin. The Dutch wikinews is locked. Currently it is still linked from e.g. the English wikinews Main Page through the interwiki (wikidata) links. However, those links lead to the locked version instead of the incubating version. I found a discussion in the archives where you mention the existance of missing.php which rewrites urls to incubating wikis.
In this case however, the redirect doesn't happen since the locked version is still at the main domain. Do you know via which channel it could be requested to allow interwiki links directly to the incubating wiki? Thanks. --Azertus (talk) 17:28, 21 August 2014 (UTC)
- Hi Azertus, this is a known problem ever since the missing.php redirects were implemented. There is already a bug about it (bugzilla:56876). It should in fact be quite easy to implement, but the main problem is making sure the closed wiki remains accessible. In several weeks I have more time to work on this (feel free to remind me then :p). Regards, SPQRobin (talk) 14:26, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
- Why is it locked? --Gryllida 13:50, 2 September 2014 (UTC)
- See meta:Proposals for closing projects/Closure of Dutch Wikinews. That closure proposal actually motivated to implement a closing projects policy, which at that moment didn't exist. SPQRobin (talk) 04:25, 3 September 2014 (UTC)
Hello. Please be aware that you are currently not meeting the required threshold of at least ten administrator actions in the past six months, and hence, you are in danger of losing your administrator and thus your oversighter access at the end of this month. Please be active with your tools or you will be required to lose them under policy.--Jasper Deng (talk) 19:31, 24 March 2015 (UTC)
- Quickly please! You have a few hours left! User:Pasleim/Items for deletion/Hoo Bot. Jianhui67 talk★contribs 16:49, 31 March 2015 (UTC)
- @Jianhui67: SPQRobin seems to meet both the old and the new activity requirements, there is no need to worry. Vogone (talk) 17:58, 31 March 2015 (UTC)
WMF projects - translation of labels and descriptionsEdit
Dear SPQRobin; I have seen you contributing at Wikimedia Incubator (Q846672) and at other pages related to WMF projects. I want to let you know that the number of projects listed at Wikidata:Database reports/WMF projects has increased to more then 385; there are pages from Wikibook project pages to Wikiversity and Wiktionary project pages,
You may be interested in adding labels and descriptions in other languages, follow the discussion at property talk:P218#whats next and comment there. Best regards Gangleri also aka I18n (talk) 20:35, 12 January 2016 (UTC)
Hello, you recently removed claim P2124 from Q839097. The template de:Vorlage:MdEP-Zahl in the German Wikipedia relies on that property and now throws an error. P2124 is definied for all other fractions, so I wonder if thats an error in the template or if it would be sensible to set the property again. --Tsungam (talk) 07:47, 23 January 2017 (UTC)
- Hi @Tsungam: I didn't realise there would be an error, I didn't think of possible Wikipedia usages. The reason why I removed it is because "membership" refers to primarily voluntary membership, i.e. normally anyone can become member of a political party. However, members of a parliament are elected to that position and hence the voters decided which party is represented by how many members, i.e. they can't voluntarily choose to become member of that parliament. That difference is the difference between P2124 and P1410. (Although technically the members of parliament choose to become member of a faction/group, the "pool" of people who can choose is restricted to the few members of parliament, not anyone can simply choose to become member.) If you agree, we can update the other EP fraction items and the dewiki template. SPQRobin (talk) 12:24, 23 January 2017 (UTC)
- Sounds reasonable. The question came up on the German help desk (de:Wikipedia:Fragen zur Wikipedia#Sitzdiagramm im Artikel Europäisches Parlament). If you edit the wd-items I'll change the template in dewp. --Tsungam (talk) 13:12, 23 January 2017 (UTC)
Q13116 and P47Edit
It seems strange as shares border with (P47) is intended for « countries or administrative subdivisions, of equal level, that this item borders, either by land or water ». But Benelux (Q13116) is not a country or an administrative division and doesn't have proper borders… (only the borders of its members) and the values are not of an equal level.
I see you added these statements in 2013. Is it still relevant?
- Hi VIGNERON, as you know 2013 is quite a few years ago, I don't know whether the property's intended use has become more strict over time, but Benelux is in generally the same situation as the EU (whose item uses P47 in the same way) as an international organisation made up of certain nation states; I think it makes sense for such levels to note which jurisdictions it borders, and I think countries is the most appropriate level, although it goes against the "of equal level" requirement, strictly speaking. So I think ideally we need a guideline for use of this property on levels like EU/Benelux. SPQRobin (talk) 20:34, 20 January 2018 (UTC)