User talk:Pigsonthewing/Archive 1

This page is an archive. Please do not modify it. Use the current page, even to continue an old discussion.



Welcome to Wikidata, Pigsonthewing!

Wikidata is a free knowledge base that you can edit! Wikidata is a free knowledge base that can be read and edited by humans and machines alike, and you can help. Go to any item page now and add to this ever-growing database!
Need some help getting started? Here are some pages you can familarise yourself with:

If you have any questions, please ask me on my talk page. If you want to try out editing, you can use the sandbox to try. Once again, welcome, and I hope you quickly feel comfortable here, and become an active editor for Wikidata.

--Emijrp (talk) 14:21, 31 October 2012 (UTC)

Admin confirmations

Hello! We are currently in the process of confirming all of the early admins, and you are scheduled to be confirmed between 7 - 11 February 2013. Please create an entry at Wikidata:Administrators/Confirm 2013/4, and see Wikidata:Administrators/Confirm 2013 for more details. Techman224Talk 00:19, 2 February 2013 (UTC)

Wikidata Authority control meeting

Hello, The doodle poll has spoken, please mark your calendars for Thursday 28th March 2013, at 3pm California time.

Let's have a discussion about how we'd like to discuss. The simplest ways are IRC or Skype, Google Hangout, Webex. I can also make a toll-free conference call. Please state your preference on the agenda, and add anything you want to talk about: d:Wikidata:Requests for permissions/Bot/VIAFbot/Meeting agenda.

Looking forwards to talking with everybody. Maximilianklein (talk) 16:43, 18 March 2013 (UTC)

Group consensus is to meet on IRC. I've picked server: freenode, and channel: #wikimedia-glam . See you then and there. Maximilianklein (talk) 18:51, 21 March 2013 (UTC)
Hi Pigsonthewing, thanks for the meeting transcript. I just saw that there have been filed a RFD for Property:P107 (GND main types). Could you please take a look at Wikidata:Requests for deletions#Property:P107? I've got the impression some users don't know authority records and reject GND main types because they don't meet their high expectations of a classification system. Cheers --Kolja21 (talk) 00:27, 29 March 2013 (UTC)

RfC on Wikidata's primary sorting property

You recently participated in a deletion discussion for P107 - main type (GND). The discussion has been closed, as it is clear that a resolution won't come from PfD, and an RfC has been opened on the matter at Wikidata:Requests for comment/Primary sorting property. You are invited to participate there. Please note that this is a mass delivered message, and that I will not see any replies you leave on this page.

Yours, Sven Manguard Wha? 18:26, 30 June 2013 (UTC)


Hi Andy. Just wanted to let you know that you've been tagging sex or gender (P21) with Male (Q360210) (a disambig page), whereas it should be male organism (Q44148). Cheers. Pikolas (talk) 00:55, 12 November 2013 (UTC)

Oops, I just realised that actually it should have been male (Q6581097). Damn. I have no idea how many items I have mistagged. Pikolas (talk) 01:00, 12 November 2013 (UTC)


This RFD by yourself is clearly a point-y edit, since you have been strongly advocating that such items are allowed (and indeed they should be). Further edits like that will be considered as intentional disruption, and responded to accordingly. Thanks. Ajraddatz (talk) 16:58, 18 April 2014 (UTC)

I would like to say on this topic - to some extent I sympathize. According to a selective interpretation of the policy, ignoring its spirit and most of the wording, you could be considered notable. However, I think the line If there is no item about you yet, you are probably not notable. applies here - it is a clear conflict of interest for you to be pursuing this, and really unhelpful to the project as a whole. I'd recommend that you stop forum shopping and drop the stick. Thanks, Ajraddatz (talk) 17:04, 18 April 2014 (UTC)
As you're an involved editor (further evidenced by the facile caveats in your second comment), and as this is not Wikipedia, I take your cautions each with a shovelful of salt. However, there is no need for "further edits like that"; the precedent is clearly established. As to forum shopping, show me where I have done that, or retract your false allegation. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 17:26, 18 April 2014 (UTC)
Initial section on WD:PC, then on Jasper's talk page, then on WD:PC again, then on John F. Lewis' talk page. The first two are excusable, the others aren't. Funny how all of a sudden you care about giving evidence for allegations - you should try it when you accuse someone of making a personal attack. You're right, I'm involved, and wouldn't take any action beyond this myself. Ajraddatz (talk) 17:34, 18 April 2014 (UTC)
An initial section cannot, by definition, be forum shopping. Jasper invited comment on his talk page ("If anyone disagrees with my close, they should bring up their objection(s) on my talk page"). He also invited me to start a new discussion on WD:PC ("General discussion of notability can always occur, feel free to start one at project chat about notability in general"), where John invited me to contact him ("If such items in the past have been deleted due to this, feel free to poke me"). I realise that, as an involved editor, you - like Jasper - would like this to go away, and to be able to impose your arbitrary interpretation of WD:N, but thankfully that's s not your decision to make. The evidence for your ad hominem personal attack is on Jasper's talk page. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 17:46, 18 April 2014 (UTC)

Thanks, and follow up

First, thank you for your helpful reply at Wikidata:Project_chat/Archive/2014/06. Since this thread was archived, let me elaborate a bit more. In addition to be being an active article creator, I have another hat - a Wikipedia researcher. I am planning to carry out a research project that would try to investigate gender inequality worldwide using Wikipedia biographies through time and space. Simply put, I want to create nice graphs (which we could host at Commons and which could improve numerous Wikipedia articles, up to and including the country-specific series of 100+ articles on gender inequality in country x), as well as tables, about the disparity between our biographies of men and female by year by ethnicity/nationality. I have already designed a working spreadsheet at [1] to illustrate what can be done. To finish this project, however, I need to extract data from Wikipedia, and I simply lack the skills to do that. Do you know where, or whom I could ask to extract such data for me, preferably in the form of the csv file formatted as in the sample spreadsheet linked? (If you reply here, please echo me - thanks). --Piotrus (talk) 13:17, 21 June 2014 (UTC)

@Piotrus: To get someone to show you how to extract data from (English) Wikipedia, ask at en:WP:VPT. To ask for someone to do it for you, try there, or en:WP:BOTREQ. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 15:39, 21 June 2014 (UTC)

WikiProject Biology

Might interest you: Wikidata:WikiProject Biology Tobias1984 (talk) 17:11, 5 September 2014 (UTC)

Indeed; thank you. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 18:02, 5 September 2014 (UTC)

Creator usage

Do you know if there will be a bot trailing along auto-populating WD where a page is created in Commons? (he asks lazily)  — billinghurst sDrewth 02:55, 30 September 2014 (UTC)

@billinghurst: I don't, though that would be nice to have. It could also make sure that a (correct) Wikidata value is present in each template. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 12:14, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
@billinghurst, Pigsonthewing: I've been looking at the Commons creator pages, as part of trying to work up the Template:Creator/wrapper/test page here on Wikidata. One of the next things on my to-do list for that is to compare what data currently is on the two sites (I've made a snapshot of the data on the Commons creator pages). The mappings aren't necessarily 1-to-1, so I want to see how the differences look. Having done that I'll probably try to do a 1-off adding of information to Wikidata.
One way forward after that might be to encourage people to fill in the data on Wikidata first, then use Template:Creator/wrapper/test to build a Creator template here to then copy-and-paste over to Commons. It's still got some way to go yet (eg dates and quite a lot of other issues) but I think it's already quite useful for langswitches. Jheald (talk) 11:02, 16 October 2014 (UTC)

Hi Andy!

I saw on Twitter that you were in London today. Any chance of catching you for a word about the BL Maps tagathon ? (Particularly re how to publicise it to OpenStreetMap, and your talk?) I'm quite near Marylebone station, so could meet you near there if you're heading that way later. One fixed point for me this evening is 7pm for the Structured Data chat on IRC, because there's a couple of things I'd like to raise. Hope we can line up a time, All best, Jheald (talk) 10:52, 16 October 2014 (UTC)

Sorry. I did SMS you, but got no reply, Happy to phone/Skype/Google hangout some time. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 17:54, 16 October 2014 (UTC)
Thanks for the SMS. Sorry to have missed it, I think I must have been in the tube. But in the end it wouldn't have worked this afternoon after all. The issue I don't know how to move forwards on is how to put out something to the OpenStreetMap community with a sense of OSM ownership. But something perhaps to follow up be email. Thanks, and sorry again to have missed you. Jheald (talk) 19:40, 16 October 2014 (UTC)

Reverting change on Template:Property documentation

Hi Andy, I'm reverting the field label of {{Property documentation}} from "template parameter" back to "infobox parameter", since the purpose of this attribute is to supply one of the primary purposes for which WD was created: allow all Wikipedias to populate their infoboxes from a common, reliable, referenced repository. This field is explicitly meant to indicate for which infobox attribute that property was intended to be used. I fail to see which other types of templates could require WD to supply values, other than infoboxes and the like. You may also have a look at Wikidata:WikiProject Infoboxes. -- LaddΩ chat ;) 01:50, 18 October 2014 (UTC)

@Laddo: We have many properties which are both sourced from and transcluded into templates other than infoboxes, on many Wikipedias: for example, VIAF, ISNI, ORCID and other authority control identifiers, Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 11:01, 18 October 2014 (UTC)
OK I see your point. Changed it back. -- LaddΩ chat ;) 12:43, 18 October 2014 (UTC)

P1080 and P1441

Please, do not add P:1080 with fictional works like in this and and this. from narrative universe (P1080) should be used with fictional universes (see the constraints and the talk page). It's present in work (P1441) that should be used for indicate in which work the item appears. Many thanks! --Harmonia Amanda (talk) 19:49, 20 October 2014 (UTC)


Wikidata has a policy against making links to redirects. Please do not add them. Thanks. 18:56, 25 October 2014 (UTC)

That policy refers to notability, not liking. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 19:44, 25 October 2014 (UTC)
Yes, and it clearly states, "Note that a single Wikimedia page cannot have more than one sitelink in Wikidata and that a sitelink cannot point to a redirect." (emphasis added) 19:50, 25 October 2014 (UTC)
Then it is badly written. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 20:07, 25 October 2014 (UTC)
Huh? The chat page topic about it is called "Redirects cause bad merges". That is just one reason why we have never allowed them. 03:12, 26 October 2014 (UTC)
The former is about a problem with the merge tool, not linking to redirects. Your "never allowed" claim is utterly bogus. This conversation s now taking place across at least five pages; I'm ending this part here - use one of the others if you have more to say. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 10:32, 26 October 2014 (UTC)

New properties

Just created defendant (P1591) -Tobias1984 (talk) 17:35, 3 November 2014 (UTC)

and prosecutor (P1592), defender (P1593), judge (P1594), charge (P1595), penalty (P1596) Tobias1984 (talk) 17:46, 3 November 2014 (UTC)

Cambridge Alumni Database ID (P1599)

Cambridge Alumni Database ID (P1599) is ready. -Tobias1984 (talk) 16:46, 7 November 2014 (UTC)

Esperantist ID (P1601)

Esperantist ID (P1601) is ready. --Tobias1984 (talk) 16:53, 7 November 2014 (UTC)

Art UK venue ID (P1602)

Art UK venue ID (P1602) is ready. --Tobias1984 (talk) 18:03, 7 November 2014 (UTC)

Nottingham museums etc

Hi Andy -

I've been sorting and disambiguating the various Nottingham Museums. In particular, there were two Wikidata items called "Nottingham Castle" (now Nottingham Castle (Q17642916) and Nottingham Castle Museum and Art Gallery (Q1799649), based on their separate English Heritage IDs) and most of the links for the castle were incorrectly attached to the house museum, which is inside the former castle walls. I'm still sorting those out.

The other items (so far!) are Nottingham City Museums and Galleries (Q18561936) (the parent organization, newly created), Wollaton Hall (Q17528596) and Q2635280 (both formerly labeled Wollaton House and also tangled up), Newstead Abbey (Q1819331) and Nottingham Industrial Museum (Q17015910). My plan is to make sure English Heritage IDs and BBC venue identifiers are correct and base everything else on that.

I'd appreciate a second pair of eyes on these, and immediately thought of you! Can you take a look if you have bandwidth? Thanks so much. - PKM (talk) 03:05, 21 November 2014 (UTC) [Paula]

@PKM: I've had a poke around. The main changes I've made are to shift the EH listing status to heritage designation (P1435) rather than instance of (P31). The various Wikipedia links for Wollaton Hall need to be shifted from the conservatory to the Hall itself (I note it's not even mentioned in the en.Wikipedia article on the Hall). I'll watchlist each of the items and chime in again if I have anything useful to add. The industrial museum needs coordinates; can you oblige?. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 14:15, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
On it; thanks for your help. I'll watch for those "instance of ... listed structure" properties elsewhere as well. - PKM (talk) 19:24, 21 November 2014 (UTC)

CLARA-ID (P1615)

CLARA-ID (P1615) ist bereit. --Tobias1984 (talk) 21:49, 21 November 2014 (UTC)

BBC Things ID (P1617)

BBC Things ID (P1617) is ready. --Tobias1984 (talk) 11:19, 23 November 2014 (UTC)

plaintiff (P1620)

plaintiff (P1620) is ready. --Tobias1984 (talk) 11:43, 23 November 2014 (UTC)

Marine traffic

P1623 (P1623) and MarineTraffic Port ID (P1624) are ready. --Tobias1984 (talk) 11:58, 23 November 2014 (UTC)

Thai cultural heritage ID (P1626)

Thai cultural heritage ID (P1626) is ready. --Tobias1984 (talk) 12:09, 23 November 2014 (UTC)

Dictionary of Welsh Biography ID (P1648)

Dictionary of Welsh Biography ID (P1648) is ready. Thank you for participating in the discussion. --Tobias1984 (talk) 11:42, 21 December 2014 (UTC)

BBF ID (P1650)

BBF ID (P1650) is ready. --Tobias1984 (talk) 11:54, 21 December 2014 (UTC)

referee (P1652)

referee (P1652) is ready. --Tobias1984 (talk) 12:06, 21 December 2014 (UTC)

wing configuration (P1654)

wing configuration (P1654) is ready. --Tobias1984 (talk) 12:14, 21 December 2014 (UTC)

unveiled by (P1656)

unveiled by (P1656) is ready. --Tobias1984 (talk) 12:23, 21 December 2014 (UTC)

Structured Data on Commons update


After a delay in updates to the Structured data on Commons project, I wanted to catch you up with what has been going on over the past three months. In short: The project is on hold, but that doesn't mean nothing is happening.

The meeting in Berlin in October provided the engineering teams with a lot to start on. Unfortunately the Structured Data on Commons project was put on hold not too long after this meeting. Development of the actual Structured data system for Commons will not begin until more resources can be allocated to it.

The Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia Germany have been working to improve the Wikidata query process on the back-end. This is designed to be a production-grade replacement of WikidataQuery integrated with search. The full project is described at will benefit the structured data project greatly since developing a high-level search for Commons is a desired goal of this project.

The Wikidata development team is working on the arbitrary access feature. Currently it's only possible to access items that are connected to the current page. So for example on Vincent van Gogh you can access the statements on Q5582, but you can't access these statements on Category:Vincent van Gogh or Creator:Vincent van Gogh. With arbitrary access enabled on Commons we no longer have this limitation. This opens up the possibility to use Wikidata data on Creator, Institution, Authority control and other templates instead of duplicating the data (what we do now). This will greatly enhance the usefulness of Wikidata for Commons.

To use the full potential of arbitrary access the Commons community needs to reimplement several templates in LUA. In LUA it's possible to use the local fields and fallback to Wikidata if it's not locally available. Help with this conversion is greatly appreciated. The different tasks are tracked in phabricator, see .

Volunteers are continuing to add data about artworks to Wikidata. Sometimes an institution website is used and sometimes data is being transfered from Commons to Wikidata. Wikidata now has almost 35.000 items about paintings. This is done as part of the WikiProject sum of all paintings. This helps us to learn how to d:Wikidata:WikiProject Visual arts/Item structuremodel and refine metadata about artworks. Experience that will of course be very useful for Commons too.

Additionally, the metadata cleanup drive continues to produce results. The drive, which is intended to identify files missing {{Information}} or the like structured data fields and to add such fields when absent, has reduced the number of files missing information by almost 100,000 on Commons. You can help by looking for files with similarly-formatted description pages, and listing them at Commons:Bots/Work requests so that a bot can add the {{Information}} template on them.

At the Amsterdam Hackathon in November 2014, a couple of different models were developed about how artwork can be viewed on the web using structured data from Wikidata. You can browse two examples here and here. These examples can give you an idea of the kind of data that file pages have the potential to display on-wiki in the future.

The Structured Data project is a long-term one, and the volunteers and staff will continue working together to provide the structure and support in the back-end toward front-end development. There are still many things to do to help advance the project, and I hope to have more news for you in the near future. Contact me any time with questions, comments, concerns.

-- User:Keegan (WMF) (talk) 19:46, 19 February 2015 (UTC)

First, felicitation for your new status! Just a note, when you create a property by error, it is easier the delete it via Wikidata:Requests for deletions. Wikidata:Properties for deletion is more for a property already used. --Fralambert (talk) 23:17, 26 February 2015 (UTC)

Beats per minute

A reply to our comments here would be appreciated. Thanks, --AmaryllisGardener talk 23:43, 1 March 2015 (UTC)

beats per minute (P1725)

Hi Andy, I have nominated beats per minute (P1725) for deletion as per my reasoning at the property propose page. Please leave your comments on the deletion at Wikidata:Properties for deletion. Thanks. —Wylve (talk) 05:11, 8 March 2015 (UTC)


Hey Andy, if you have the time, could you take a look at Wikidata:Property_proposal/Authority_control#GTAA_-_Common_Thesaurus_Audiovisual_Archives and tell me what you think? Do you think this would be a valuable addition to Wikidata? Thanks. Husky (talk) 15:46, 9 March 2015 (UTC)

Thanks! Husky (talk) 20:02, 9 March 2015 (UTC)

Random guitars

Hello Andy. Could I ask you to please comment over at this topic. Thank you.--Anders Feder (talk) 01:45, 11 March 2015 (UTC)

applies in

Can applies to part (P518) be used?--GZWDer (talk) 13:36, 11 March 2015 (UTC)


Hi Pigsonthewing,

Can you explain why you closed Wikidata:Property proposal/Generic#property used by this WikiProject as "not done"? It wasn't opposed and it's not the oldest request on the page. --- Jura 11:28, 23 March 2015 (UTC)

It was opposed and there was no support. It had been open for over a month. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 11:42, 23 March 2015 (UTC)
There was a comment with a preference voiced by someone not interested in WikiProjects (not sure why he commented in the first place). --- Jura 11:48, 23 March 2015 (UTC)
Never mind, somewhat I missed the bold print. --- Jura 11:50, 23 March 2015 (UTC)


You can request a rollbacker flag, so that you can move pages without leaving redirects.--GZWDer (talk) 05:19, 31 March 2015 (UTC)


Hi Andy, could you create the NPG property? Despite our ... history with them, I think it's a good thing. And while you're there, I think the Catholic Bishops below that is a duplicate... Thanks! --Magnus Manske (talk) 11:37, 14 April 2015 (UTC)

@Magnus Manske: I go away for two weeks, and everythig grinds to a halt ;-) Berlin was fun, though. Both now resolved. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 12:01, 14 April 2015 (UTC)
Thank you! --Magnus Manske (talk) 12:13, 14 April 2015 (UTC)

Hair, etc.

Hi Pigsonthewing, Would you look into hair_color, different_from, language, they seem to have sufficient support for creation. --- Jura 05:59, 18 April 2015 (UTC)

I have my doubts about the former two, but have dealt with the third Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 12:05, 18 April 2015 (UTC)
Thanks for looking into them. Anyways, I commented on the last one there. --- Jura 12:07, 18 April 2015 (UTC)

Hey, check your OSM messages

;) --AmaryllisGardener talk 23:25, 25 April 2015 (UTC)


Hi how does one deal with Dissambiguation in WikiData. I was going to add authors for the taxon Chelodina canni (I am experimenting with taxa I know to get used to the process)one is myself but the other is Bill McCord, you already have a Bill McCord in your database, a different person. Or if I create another page of the same name it will be assigned a different qnumber and that is good enough? Cheers, Faendalimas (talk) 23:40, 30 April 2015 (UTC)

Its all good figured it out. Please check my Edits if you have a minute let me know if I am doing anything wrong. Cheers Faendalimas (talk) 00:59, 1 May 2015 (UTC)
Given that I don't know the subject, they look fine. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 08:40, 1 May 2015 (UTC)


Cheers for the advice! I wasn't really sure what properties to add, and I thought I created the talk page (but I obviously didn't :P). Thanks again :) --George (Talk · Contribs · CentralAuth · Log) 15:11, 5 May 2015 (UTC)

Web Gallery of Art ID (P1882) and complex IDs/URLs

Hi, and thanks for creating Web Gallery of Art ID (P1882). You may remember a brief discussion there about identifiers vs. URLs, where the former does not map directly onto the latter. For such properties that are in mix'n'match, at least, I found a solution: As I store both the ID and the URL there, I can redirect from one to the other. Example formatter URL on Web Gallery of Art ID (P1882). Just FYI. --Magnus Manske (talk) 21:20, 8 May 2015 (UTC)

@Magnus Manske: That's a very neat idea; thanks for letting me know. How would we set up/ request further such redirects, in future? Do you see it as a permanent solution, or a temporary fix? Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 15:35, 10 May 2015 (UTC)


Hello Andy and nice to meet you here; actually a help would be needed at least as a first step. I do not know how to start creating an descritpion which would "link" to a value. Should I operate in the number items? Should i add a description in number items adding a description, e.g. in ? If so, i will not be too difficult, but i just need a hint. Thank you advance. Paolobon140 (talk) 09:11, 27 May 2015 (UTC)

@Paolobon140: You need to crate a set of ten new items, one for each value; I've done one, at Volcanic explosivity index 4: Pelean/Plinian (Q19986423); you can see it in use on 2010 eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull (Q269442). Do you know how to do that? Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 12:18, 27 May 2015 (UTC)


Hi Andy! Thank you for creating the property for the Mineduc IDs. But... I've tried adding 15522 as the ID for Charly's School (Q5086363), but the system won't let me. "Malformed input: 15522".--Diego Grez (talk) 02:08, 1 June 2015 (UTC)

@Diego Grez: That worked for me. It's always worth retrying if you get that error. Sometimes, if you copy & paste, you get hidden control characters in the text; try deleting and retyping the first and last digits. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 09:04, 1 June 2015 (UTC)
Thanks for your reply Andy! Will do. I've got a big list of schools :P Regards,--Diego Grez (talk) 13:47, 1 June 2015 (UTC)

David Oswald Hunter Blair (Q17097090)

Do you know how we assign baronetcies? They apparently are not noble titles, so either the property needs to be expanded, or we need an alternate. He is the fifth of Hunter-Blair baronets (Q19972055). Thanks if you do know.  — billinghurst sDrewth 13:38, 8 June 2015 (UTC)

@billinghurst: No idea; suggest you ask en:Wikipedia:WikiProject Peerage and Baronetage. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 05:51, 9 June 2015 (UTC)

PGCH link

Hi Andy, thanks so much for creating the PGCH property. I was wondering if there's something wrong on my end as I'm not seeing the links to the database when I add it to a chemical? See 1,1,2,2-tetrabromoethane (Q161271) for an example. Thanks! Emily Temple-Wood (NIOSH) (talk) 20:04, 12 June 2015 (UTC)

@Emily Temple-Wood (NIOSH): It's working for me. You won't see the link when you save your edit, you'll need to reload the page. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 22:22, 12 June 2015 (UTC)
Well, that makes sense. Thanks! :) Emily Temple-Wood (NIOSH) (talk) 01:37, 13 June 2015 (UTC)

general classification

Hi Pigsonthewing. Is it possible to create the property general classification from Wikidata:Property proposal/Event ? I wait since weeks and I need it for the infobox we use for cycling races on the French Wikipedia. Thanks. Jérémy-Günther-Heinz Jähnick (talk) 17:05, 23 June 2015 (UTC)

@Jérémy-Günther-Heinz Jähnick: Sorry; I'm not able to judge where there is a consensus there (or if there is, what it is). Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 09:20, 25 June 2015 (UTC)
Five for, one against, that's enough. We will not wait months for a single property. Jérémy-Günther-Heinz Jähnick (talk) 10:05, 25 June 2015 (UTC)

Gaetan / Cayetano

Hello, this are the sames names in various languages (French, Italian) and that was a mistake to undo what I did. If you know this langage (latin should help too) it will be more clear. Vatekor (talk) 13:10, 7 July 2015 (UTC)

French : Gaétan ou Gaëtan est un prénom français récent issu de l'italien Gaetano signifiant « originaire de Gaëta », en français Gaëte, ville italienne1. Cette ville italienne est située entre Rome et Naples.

En latin d'église, Gaétan s'écrit Caietanus.

Les féminins de Gaétan et Gaëtan sont Gaétane et Gaëtane.

(French name from the italian Gaetano "originiary form Gaeta", city in Italia. From latinus Caietanus.)

Italian : Origine e diffusione

Deriva dal nome personale latino Caietanus, ossia "abitante di Gaeta"[1][3][5]. Questa città del basso Lazio deve il suo nome, secondo la tradizione, alla leggenda che la vuole luogo di sepoltura di Caieta, la nutrice di Enea[1][3][5]; tuttavia la sua reale etimologia è oscura, e sono state formulate numerose ipotesi al riguardo[1][3][5].

Derive from the latin name Caietanus, people from Gaeta... etc.

Cayetano en espanol direclty redirect to Gaetano en Italian. Do what ever you want with the non-latin langages (ie, english) but let the correct correspondance betwen the latins langages : spanish, french, italian, portugues, at least. Vatekor (talk) 13:10, 7 July 2015 (UTC)

I have no idea what you are talking about. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 13:43, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
here Vatekor (talk) 13:49, 7 July 2015 (UTC)
The full discussion is archived at Wikidata:Project chat/Archive/2015/06#Merge of given names "Gaetan" & "Cayetano". Please start a new 'project chat' discussion if you wish to overturn the outcome. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 14:06, 7 July 2015 (UTC)

species kept (P1990)

species kept (P1990) is ready. --Tobias1984 (talk) 09:21, 12 July 2015 (UTC)

Property revert


I see you've reverted my edit. Per Special:ConstraintReport/P2011, my edit was correct. Is the constraint report faulty? Gabbe (talk) 12:20, 30 July 2015 (UTC)

Yes, it is. I need to get around to nominating P1858 (P1858) and its siblings for deletion. Sorry for the inconvenience. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 12:22, 30 July 2015 (UTC)

Property colour for flowers

Hi Andy, Thanks for your reactions in the discussion in project chat. Yes, I would like some help with adding new properties. Seeing the reaction of the other people, maybe colour is not the right property. Maybe 'colour(s) of flowers' is a better property? 12:02, 29 July 2015 (UTC)

Proposal started; see Wikidata:Property proposal/Natural science#flower colour. (It would be easier to converse with you if you remembered to log in to your account). Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 22:53, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
Hi Andy, thanks for starting the proposal. I'm curious about the proposal of Tobias1984. Timboliu (talk) 10:42, 3 August 2015 (UTC)

United States Armed Forces service number

Wikidata:Property_proposal/Person#United States Armed Forces service number I narrowed the scope to US only, so I hope you will go back and vote to "support". --Richard Arthur Norton (1958- ) (talk) 20:58, 10 August 2015 (UTC)

Findagrave cemetery

Is their a bot that migrates data over from external databases? If I looked at an existing one, I could modify it to pull over the data from Findagrave. --Richard Arthur Norton (1958- ) (talk) 23:00, 11 August 2015 (UTC)

@Richard Arthur Norton (1958- ): There are two options; for some things, User:Magnus Manske's Mix-n-Match (I'm not sure whether Find a Grave cemetery ID (P2025) would be suitable); otherwise, ask on Wikidata:Botreq. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 23:05, 11 August 2015 (UTC)
Mix'n'match might not scale to huge databases like find-a-grave, VIAF, etc. For find-a-grave, I can offer the recently deceased matching tool ;-) --Magnus Manske (talk) 09:01, 12 August 2015 (UTC)

Editing my comment on Wikidata:Administrators' noticeboard

Hi Pigsonthewing:

Please note that I undid your edit to my comment on the above talk page.

This to ask you explicitly to not edit any of my comments.

Even if a wiki allows editing any text on talk pages, it's generally to be avoided to edit or re-factor other people's comments. --- Jura 05:01, 17 August 2015 (UTC)

I have never edited any of your comments; do not post falsehoods on this page again. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 07:05, 17 August 2015 (UTC)
You refactored it by moving it to another section. Please avoid doing this in the future. --- Jura 07:36, 17 August 2015 (UTC)
.. and please move it back where it was. In the meantime, it should be clear to you that I didn't want my comment to be placed in a new section. --- Jura 07:42, 17 August 2015 (UTC)

Metadata'ing for Wikisource

Ages ago you hassled WS to get components into its header and author templates as better metadata. With the progression of WD, is there now a new approach that should be considered? Either not bothering as the metadata is here? Or a better means or set to import into our templates? Feedback would be useful, or being pointed to where or what or who should be asked. Thanks.  — billinghurst sDrewth 02:20, 21 August 2015 (UTC)

@billinghurst: The markup changes I suggested should remain. However it is now possible to populate the data within that markup from Wikidata. See WD:Arbitrary access. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 08:35, 21 August 2015 (UTC)

incorrect spelling

Hi just wanted to suggest a page move. Q5367545 Elseya uberima is miss-spelt it should be Elseya uberrima, ie double "r". As I am not an admin here obviously I cannot do this. I have made some corrections where I can though. Cheers, Faendalimas (talk) 16:24, 22 August 2015 (UTC)

@Faendalimas: Thank you. We don't "move pages" in Wikidata; you can just edit the label (though I have now done so). Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 17:26, 22 August 2015 (UTC)

Examples for properties with 'property' domain

Example: I want to add an example for Wikidata item of this property (P1629): father (P22) => father (Q7565) (the one on its talk page). The property is only used on property item pages, so adding father (P22) as the value for Wikidata property example (P1855) is not possible. What do you think? Matěj Suchánek (talk) 13:16, 29 August 2015 (UTC)

@Matěj Suchánek: The datatype of Wikidata property example (P1855) is "item". We'd need to create a separate property, with datatype "property". Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 18:45, 29 August 2015 (UTC)

YerelNet village ID

Authority control on Wikipedia

Hi Andy, have you looked at the property list in the English Wikipedia's authority control template? They look like they are only about people. Do you know if there is any way to just disregard that and grab the authority control from the properties listed here? So for example, it would be nice if the template would resolve links to all of the heritage properties used in WLM. If such a list needs to be handled locally on the English Wikipedia, that is fine too, but a bit dangerous too I think as it could easily be disrupted by POV pushers. Have you thought about this? Thanks in advance. --Jane023 (talk) 11:44, 1 October 2015 (UTC)

@Jane023: The {{Authority control}} template on en.WP was originally just for people, but has outgrown that. There was recently a suggestion to return it to that function, and to create one or more new templates for authority control for other topics. I'll see if I can track down that discussion, later. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 13:25, 1 October 2015 (UTC)
Yes please do! We really need to split these by domain, because the more I think about it, the more it seems downright insulting that something called an "Authority control" completely ignores the authorities of a specific subdomain. Also, thanks for your edits on the Women-in-Red page. Thinking that discussion over, we should probably have various person versions as well, such as one for the arts, one for the sciences, and so forth. We will never get anywhere on the Gendergap if all we have are the male-centric library aggregators! --Jane023 (talk) 16:24, 1 October 2015 (UTC)
@Jane023: It was, er, you, in en:Wikipedia talk:Wikidata#Revamp the Authority control template. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 11:32, 2 October 2015 (UTC)
Oh dear I was afraid of that. Is it really such a small group of people who even care about this stuff? Anyways, let me just let you know that I have requested permission to edit the auth ctl template because no one else seems to care, but after thinking it over, I think we need to do one of two things: 1) just get rid of it entirely and make something that people can see automatically (sort of a reasonator hover with just the auth ctl properties and nothing else) or 2) Split it per biography domain, so artists/scientists/mud wrestlers/soccer stars/film divas and so forth. As far as non-human articles go, I am still unsure what to do. Artworks for example may have locations with coordinates, which are a whole different can of beans. --Jane023 (talk) 11:49, 2 October 2015 (UTC)


computes solution to (P2159) is ready. --Tobias1984 (talk) 14:31, 4 October 2015 (UTC)


solubility (P2177) and solvent (P2178) are ready. --Tobias1984 (talk) 13:26, 5 October 2015 (UTC)

Discussion on Taxacom

Hi Andy, Roderic Page makes some interesting points on Taxacom, if we can make it more a database of names etc, as facts, which is a slight shift in focus it will be more useable. Then I would argue for it being used as data retrieval points for taxoboxes etc across wikimedia. As a practicing taxonomist yep am a member of taxacom too. Do not worry about what Stephen Thorpe had to say, he is not happy with Wikimedia in general, opportunistic pot shot. Cheers, Scott aka Faendalimas (talk) 00:34, 28 October 2015 (UTC)

@Faendalimas: Thank you. I paid no heed whatsoever to Stephen's silly post. I defer to experts in taxonomy as to whether Rod's proposal is the best way forward, but he is one such expert and I value his judgement and hope he posts here soon. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 13:11, 28 October 2015 (UTC)

Editing other people's property proposals

Hi Pigsonthewing,

Please avoid editing my proposals unless you add something to it. If you add something to it, please mention your change in a comment below the proposal. --- Jura 19:45, 6 November 2015 (UTC)

It's not your property proposal, it belongs to the community; and I did add something to it - I fixed some of the errors in it, and advised you how to fix others. HTH. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 19:49, 6 November 2015 (UTC)
No, I made the proposal. You removed part of the label and the description, as well as cross-reference in the URL field. Neither was mentioned in your comment, worse, your requested these to be filled in. I think you have the two ways to do the right thing: restore the original version or note your changes in the comment below the proposal. --- Jura 19:54, 6 November 2015 (UTC)
Your emphatic "No" is misplaced. I did not say that you didn't make the proposal; I said that it doesn't belong to you. The label and description that you posted were incorrect, so I fixed them as much as was possible given the partial information you had provided, and - as I have already said - advised you on what else needed fixing. That was the "right thing". Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 19:59, 6 November 2015 (UTC)

Biographical Directory of Federal Judges id

I've added the information to the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges id property proposal at Wikidata:Property_proposal/Person that I think it was missing. As you opposed due to missing information, could you take a look and see if you support it with the information filled in. Thank you. Silverfish (talk) 19:11, 19 November 2015 (UTC)


Your advice is to fix the constraints, however since I can't do that through a single exception, I would need to remove one template, this needs community consensus and I read some time ago that there currently isn't consensus on allowing the property itself on the example. Current consensus is that only dedicated properties are allowed (such as the P1858 as I wanted to use. Mbch331 (talk) 18:36, 23 November 2015 (UTC)

I believe your assertions regarding what consensus does or does note exist are baseless; you offer no evidence for them. I counter them with the many examples of Wikidata property example (P1855) for sting values - as indeed the example value in question is a string. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 18:47, 23 November 2015 (UTC)
Wikidata property example (P1855) is correct. The problem is the qualifier you use. But since altering constraints without community approval this is a tie. I can't remove the qualifiers constraint on the talk page of P1855, since there is no community approval. Mbch331 (talk) 18:54, 23 November 2015 (UTC)


Jura thanked me for that one too. *sigh* I'm tempted to work up a case to have his editing privileges restricted, because the vitriol is past the point of obnoxious... --Izno (talk) 15:22, 19 December 2015 (UTC)

@Izno: I've no idea what I've done to attract, either. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 15:29, 19 December 2015 (UTC)
I think it only comes down to having a strong opinion that is often against his. I've experienced some of the same; he just doesn't have anything to go after me with. --Izno (talk) 15:33, 19 December 2015 (UTC)

grid identifier ready?

Hi Andy - I believe I have modified the property proposal for GRID as you asked. Also see the note from somebody involved with that project. Ready to be created? ArthurPSmith (talk) 14:12, 22 December 2015 (UTC)

Data from Infobox settlement

Do you also work on data import from infobox settlement? Would be nice if all data from that box could be stored in Wikidata.

But before importing it would be good to have the box on more articles. E.g. en:Category:Geobox_usage_tracking_for_region_type has several articles which could use infobox settlement - maybe even all, but at least the provinces, regions, departments could be converted. 19:55, 28 December 2015 (UTC)

The answer to your first question is no; but you may find Harvest Templates useful. As to Geobox, that does need to be deprecated and replaced, but there seems to be no-one other than me interested in undertaking the necessary work. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 13:04, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

Property purposals

Hello, is it possible to speed up the creation process for properties purposed by trwiki community? Turkish community mostly have little or less familiarity with Wikidata, and these properties will introduce new integration for football player infobexes with trwiki. thanks Hakan·IST 12:55, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

If there is no controversy, the process only takes seven days. Feel free to ping me after that period. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 13:01, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

Before I make a formal proposal, would we ever link to the entries at They have genealogical information for just about every person that is dead. They have free access to birth, marriage, and death certificate and the census records for these people linked to in the profiles. The problem is that there is no landing page unless you are logged in as a free registered user. If you do not have a free account, or are not logged in, it takes you to the login page. If you are logged in, you get an amazing genealogical history of that person and free access to all the documents on one page. I have been filling in hundreds of missing birth dates and missing middle names using this resource. --Richard Arthur Norton (1958- ) (talk) 21:20, 4 January 2016 (UTC)

@Richard Arthur Norton (1958- ): I've seen little precedence for this one way or the other. You could submit a proposal and see what response you get; or ask on the Village Pump. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 12:32, 5 January 2016 (UTC)

Wikidata:Database reports/Wikipedia versions

Dear friend; I have seen you contributing to a lot at pages linked to (as for today titled Wikipedia versions but intended in general for WMF projects). I would be happy if you can review the properties of these pages, create the missing Wikibook and Wikiversity project pages, comment on user:I18n/sandbox (where you may find many usefull queries) and comment there with new / additional ideas. Best regards Gangleri also aka I18n (talk) 19:51, 9 January 2016 (UTC)

Hi! I want to let you know that the number of Wikidata:Database reports/WMF projects has increased to more then 385. You may be interested in adding labels and descriptions in other languages, follow the discussion at property talk:P218#whats next, property talk:P219, property talk:P220, property talk:P1800 and comment there. Best regards Gangleri also aka I18n (talk) 02:54, 12 January 2016 (UTC) / I18n (talk) 10:22, 12 January 2016 (UTC)

carries (P2505)

carries (P2505) is ready. --Fralambert (talk) 18:03, 17 January 2016 (UTC)

Module:Cycling race

Hi. You have examples on fr:Modèle:Cycling race/listofstages and fr:Modèle:Cycling race/listofwinners. These case are different and use to verify if we can find bugs.

For the list of stages, we have fr:Tour Down Under 2016, ca:Tour Down Under 2016, de:Tour Down Under 2016, es:Tour Down Under 2016, mk:Тур Даун Андер 2016, no:Tour Down Under 2016 and ro:Tour Down Under 2016. You can also see lv:2016. gada Vuelta a España, or similar languages for 2016 Giro d'Italia (Q20025032)

For the list of winners, you have similar examples with Tour Down Under (Q756827). In this case, it is a bigger transition, and I start to use this function on recent races, like fr:Tour du Sarawak, fr:Tour de Kapchagaï, fr:Tour d'Öskemen, fr:Tour de Bourabaï, fr:Tour de Baïkonour.

On EN Wiki, two users think they don't need this program because they have users to do the work, on IT Wiki, an user says the program have a big number of mistakes, and try to make a program for its Wikipedia, but it don't work like this program at this day, and on NL Wiki, an user try to impose another formatting for a function, so it prevent me to make new updates and I say I stop to intervene until he lets me work as on other Wikipedia. So the program is a success despite the fact that a handful of contributors problem. I want to clarify what is negative, but we thank contributors for other language versions. Jérémy-Günther-Heinz Jähnick (talk) 10:51, 1 February 2016 (UTC)

VALA 2016-02-11

#vala16 Hello

Hi Andy, great session Bibliothekia (talk) 01:26, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

Hello #vala16

Hi Andy! Helouise (talk) 01:26, 11 February 2016 (UTC)Helouise


Hello, Gemmasteele (talk) 01:26, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

Greetings #vala16

Fantastic session. Pmmcg (talk) 01:27, 11 February 2016 (UTC)


Hello Kkinley (talk) 01:27, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

Hello from VALA16

Hi Andy, thanks for a great session. Really enjoyed it. Kip1five (talk) 01:27, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

Hello from #vala2016

Can I buy you a beer? BenJChadwick (talk) 01:27, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

#vala16 #bc3

Thanks Andy, keen to learn more. KatieHannan (talk) 01:27, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

What's up from #vala16!

Hi Andy! Mignon1915 (talk) 01:27, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

VALA16 11 Feb -

Hi Andy,

Enjoying your session so far, thanks :)

Kathrynbot (talk) 01:28, 11 February 2016 (UTC)


thanks for the help HJLBeard (talk) 01:28, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

Hi Andy, great session, thanks AmandaSLawrence (talk) 01:28, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

Hello #vala16

Hi there,

I have enjoyed your session. Thank you.

Regards, Merilyn Medgar1 (talk) 01:29, 11 February 2016 (UTC)


Hello Mikki520 (talk) 01:30, 11 February 2016 (UTC)

Hello, thank you for wikidata workshop. It is excellent!  – The preceding unsigned comment was added by Josellachan (talk • contribs) at 01:33, 11 February 2016‎ (UTC).

North Perth / Beatty Park confusion

Hi - and thanks for the excellent presentation today in Perth :) Per our discussion, items Q7056320 and Q4877312 appear to have become mixed up in Swedish and Cebuano. Orderinchaos (talk) 07:48, 20 February 2016 (UTC)

@Orderinchaos: That seems to have been fixed. please check, and please add a description to Q4877312. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 14:49, 3 March 2016 (UTC)
Thanks, and done. Another one: Q21924861 if possible should be merged into Q543262, both relate to the same entity (unlike Q4018131). Orderinchaos (talk) 16:09, 6 March 2016 (UTC)
@Orderinchaos: Done. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 11:07, 7 March 2016 (UTC)

Number of out of school children property

Hi Andy

I proposed the property Number of out of school children at the start of February and it seems to have got stuck in limbo with only one person commenting. Do you have any suggestions of how to get it out of limbo?


John Cummings (talk) 14:19, 1 March 2016 (UTC)

Return to the user page of "Pigsonthewing/Archive 1".